how many overcorrect steering & flip NNBS tahoe due over-assisted steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
our steering is TOO TOUCHY, it will change lanes if you sneeze. much less if you turn around to look at kids in back seat in an emergency (kids choking or gasping)

is there any data on that?

do you guys feel that your steering is too easy to turn?
basically, in ours, you have to take your hands off the wheel to change your position in the seat or move in any way.

seems like a little stiction in the steering would help it be less sensitive.

i have been noticing ours is getting worse (easier & easier to turn the wheel)
we were switching lanes on the interstate last week, and there was a Gator in the middle of the lane, I swerved to miss it, and ended up going back across my lane and off-road. I was really thinking hard about the steering, so I just let it settle out on the shoulder, then slowed & brought it back up on the road.

broken08

Reaction score
I don't want to discount what you are saying, but the ease of steering really shouldn't have any effect on how far you turn the wheel in an emergency. That being said, I totally agree and would like more feedback. But that's what we get buying a luxury non-sport vehicle.
Drives like a cadillac

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're getting that much movement without moving the steering wheel much you might have a problem. When was it aligned last? When I raced a BMW instead of running with toe-in many of us ran with a tiny bit of toe-out. It made the cars twitchy down the straights but they would change directions in a heartbeat in the turns.

20" wheels also make things sharper. I'm not having the problem in my '09 LTZ with 20s but I still want to swap them out for some 17s. It doesn't help that I have some air leaks due to wheel corrosion.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try holding the traction control button for 5 sec...

It disables the stabilitrac, see you notice a difference. Not sure if the steering is directly effected on these or not

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '08 tracks dead-straight without noticeable wheel correction more than any vehicle I've owned (during 26 years), but yes, I've noticed that initial wheel correction results in a significant change in vehicle direction. And it's non-linear.

In other words, the first few degrees of wheel correction, off-center, causes quick direction-change, so much that I feel as though I can complete a Right Turn by turning the steering wheel only about 1/4 turn. But the steering input shows a reduced effect as I turn past about 1/8th turn, and so completing a Right Turn requires turning the wheel over 1/2 turn total.

OP
OP

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is not "slop" or the wheel moving without the tires turning.

it's that you can turn the wheel so SOFTLY

i was trying to think of away to quantify this, like using a drink straw to turn the wheel?
it's that easy to turn.

yeah, this tahoe has always been "twitchy", but they check the alignment at every oil change (looking for every dollar) and they have not called it out of spec yet.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is not "slop" or the wheel moving without the tires turning.

it's that you can turn the wheel so SOFTLY

i was trying to think of away to quantify this, like using a drink straw to turn the wheel?
it's that easy to turn.

yeah, this tahoe has always been "twitchy", but they check the alignment at every oil change (looking for every dollar) and they have not called it out of spec yet.

I wonder what the toe angle is that's called for in the spec. Manufacturers are doing everything they can to meet the CAFE ratings. It might be that the spec is close to zero. A little toe-in increases stability but does cause a teeny bit of scrubbing all the time.

Christoph559

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ours is the same with 113k now.
I found some info on the steering angle sensor, I haven't been able to look at it on our's yet. Not sure if it goes bad if it will throw a code or just affect steering

sabasigh

Reaction score
Feels like my steering assist is way overboosted. Feels like a recent change too.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Never saw it as being a problem in the 9 years Ive had a NNBS. Every car is different, some more loose feeling than a NNBS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900