Those Who Moved From an '07-14 to '15+ generation... How Was It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting take, had not come across this one. I'll have to pay more attention to the headlight differences on these.

Man the bluetooth streaming from the phone would be so nice lol. You mentioned remote start... didn't realize that was not on the K2xx years?

Yeah I think at this point I'd focus on the latter years that got the 10-speed auto based on what I'm seeing in research.

The K2XX's have remote start from the key fob just like the GMT900's. What I was referring to was the push button start inside the vehicle... Not sure if that's on every K2XX model, but at least for the 2015-2020 Denali and Escalade on the inside of the vehicle there is a push button on the dash to start (turn on) and shut down (turn off) the vehicle. You just have to have the key fob on you, i.e. in your pocket. Versus the GMT900 you have to put the physical key into the ignition on the steering column.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The K2XX's have remote start from the key fob just like the GMT900's. What I was referring to was the push button start inside the vehicle... Not sure if that's on every K2XX model, but at least for the 2015-2020 Denali and Escalade on the inside of the vehicle there is a push button on the dash to start (turn on) and shut down (turn off) the vehicle. You just have to have the key fob on you, i.e. in your pocket. Versus the GMT900 you have to put the physical key into the ignition on the steering column.
My 2019 Yukon SLT still uses a key.....

OP
OP
R

Runfor5

Reaction score
Ah understood; push button start inside you mean. My fault, thought you were referring to remote start via the key fob yes.

OP
OP
R

Runfor5

Reaction score
Wait until you have to replace the shocks in the newer models...
I'm not even looking forward to it on our current one :D because I probably will not convert to the fixed struts. I believe ours has the Z55 "Autoride" package, thankfully not the Z95 "Magnetic ride control" which I hear is even pricier.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have both platforms and here's what I can add, some redundant to what's been said.

2008 Denali
1. Comfier seats
2. Better engine sound from 6.2L (just personal likes)
3. Easier maintenance/repair for most tasks
4. Cheap interior - even on Denali :(

2017 Denali
1. Sexy styling
2. Cooled seats - but are lame compared to previous generation 09-14
3. Selectable 4wd vs AWD is nice
4. Interior fit and finish is WAY better than previous gen
5. Direct injection has much more noticeable torque available
6. 8 speed is nice once flushed with correct fluid
7. Fuel economy is about 2 to 4 mpg better than 2008. (6.2L in both)

Similarities:
1. Basically the same frame, so common repairs/maintenance will use same/similar tools
2. Struts from 2007 will fit 2020, as will rear shocks. And vice versa, just might not be the same if electronically controlled.
3. Both are excellent daily drivers or road trip machines.

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be a little bit off-topic below since I am a generation or two older, but to answer the op question I would totally recommend a K2XX over a GMT900. Mostly because of the more updated powertrain and interior quality improvements. I’ve read in a few different places by a 2016 and up SUV as GM made a bunch of improvements between 2015 to 2016

I own 3 platforms. 2 Trucks and 1 Suburban. Both trucks have camper shells so they kind of look like an oversized SUV.

I like the looks of the Chevy GMT 900 platform but they just feel so cheap inside. You have to remember that platform is pre-and post bankruptcy years. The powertrain seems pretty stout but looking at a GMT 800 and 900 several years ago the 800 just felt better built and more comfortable.

That said I would buy a 2009 Tahoe 6.2 L four-wheel-drive in a heartbeat! But the 6.2 is a 1 year option and those are hard to find in nice condition and not miled out. Yes I know I could just get a GMC SUV with 6.2 but I don’t want the full time all-wheel-drive.

My GMT400 97 k1500 was purchased brand new in 1997 and has been in the family ever since. Current 218,000 miles, original transmission and engine. It towed 6500 pounds which was the max. The first 2 years in the Colorado mountains after that it’s been unloaded and daily driver. This rides the smoothest out of all three and has been rocksolid reliable. The 5.7 350 pulls down better highway mileage then the suburban with the torque-less wonder 5.3. The 5.3 does pull harder than the 5.7 but only in the higher RPM range but I prefer the lower RPM torque from the 5.7. I had the truck weighed and it weighs 5520 pounds with the snug top and a full tank of fuel which should be the same or very close to the 2003 suburban weight wise.
IMG_2392.jpeg
IMG_4167.jpeg

The 2003 suburban has very comfortable seats. It’s a little bit more comfortable than the plush GMT400 seats. Lots of electrical and electronic problems in the suburban. I’ve had to replace the radio due to not working when cold. I still get random codes of communication issues with rear seat audio and an annoying buzzing from the rear speakers when it’s really cold out until the cabin warms up. I am now self certified in diagnosing, troubleshooting and replacing HVAC actuators for the front and rear climate control.
The burb has 173k on it, original LM7 5.3 which runs great. Transmission was replaced at 150k. The Burb rides really well it’s almost a tossup between this and the 97 on ride quality. Interior quality they are about the same. Chassis, you can tell where GM cheaped out like having to replace the front wheel bearing hubs on the 2003 where 97 is original. Heater hose quick disconnects, window regulators are sketchy, little stuff like that.
IMG_0279.jpeg

Purchased my 2018 Sierra brand new. It’s been great except for odd messages occasionally on startup like service stability track, service four-wheel-drive. Replace negative battery cable which helped due to high resistance, but will still get these messages every few months randomly. The backlight for the climate control buttons to no longer light up and that’s sad for a six-year-old truck that gets driven every other week.
If you have an eight speed flush out the original fluid with the new blue label mobil one. I did this at 20,000 miles and besides some clunky shifting in rolling stop and go traffic no problems and no metal shavings or any thing else to indicate transmission issues. The front seats are hard as a rock and remain hard. Five years later the rear seat has much more give and is almost more comfortable than the fronts to sit in.

Favorite thing is the 6.2 L and the eight speed has the gear ratios just right I’ve towed my 4000 pounds enclosed trailer with all three vehicles and of course this one tows it the best. The big 6.2 and double the gears of the other trucks = win.

I like the looks of the latest generation trucks and SUVs and would buy one if I wanted to spend that much money. Independent rear suspension no solid axle bothered me, but it’s probably fine unless you’re doing a lot of heavy towing.IMG_3215.jpegIMG_0794.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Runfor5

Reaction score
My GMT400 97 k1500 was purchased brand new in 1997 and has been in the family ever since.
That looks sooooo clean, dam! Nice truck.

Appreciate the write-up and interesting to see how your 'problem items' have evolved through the generations. Some of your items brought back memory of my dad cursing while fixing... particularly the "quick disconnects" haha

Burban22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks sooooo clean, dam! Nice truck.

Appreciate the write-up and interesting to see how your 'problem items' have evolved through the generations. Some of your items brought back memory of my dad cursing while fixing... particularly the "quick disconnects" haha
Thanks! The 97 k1500 is the reason I’m a GM truck and SUV guy.

Those quick disconnects suck! Haha

I have videos of the fleet on my YouTube channel https://youtube.com/@doctube2020?si=lqoSEvBgZ5y1WSbQ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
microfoxdev