How many of you DO NOT experience buffetting and vibration problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kh0806

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2015 Tahoe LT, Lux Package, sunroof, etc. with 12,000 miles on it. Never even heard of this issue until I started reading about it online. Feel very fortunate and lucky because I wouldn't be able to handle that. Fingers crossed that it doesn't suddenly appear.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Not to add fuel to the fire but is the buffetting thing to be misconstrued with the shake that sometimes caused by the AFM? I've never experienced buffetting but the AFM has caused problems with shaking. Sometimes it can be a strong shake but sometimes it was mild and could make you think it was caused by other conditions.
A software flash with my Superchips thing fixed it for the most part but I still get it on occasion.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to add fuel to the fire but is the buffetting thing to be misconstrued with the shake that sometimes caused by the AFM? I've never experienced buffetting but the AFM has caused problems with shaking. Sometimes it can be a strong shake but sometimes it was mild and could make you think it was caused by other conditions.
A software flash with my Superchips thing fixed it for the most part but I still get it on occasion.
Don't think so.

GM has identified it as a separate issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kansas Eagle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Once you know what to "feel" for from the buffeting issue, you'll see it is in a lot of these GM SUVs

Every single one I've driven (now over 15 between 15s and 16s) has the buffeting booming to a varying degree

Now to OPs point, much fewer had a vibration issue, in my drives about half of them

BS

If you have to be told to "feel" for an issue, you don't have it.
I don't doubt that there are a VERY FEW that have a legit issue on the buffeting, but the majority of this simply comes from people who are not use to driving big vehicles with large sealed interior spaces.

I have a 2015 Tahoe LTZ (Sunroof, 22's, towing, etc) and I don't have any issues except that the ride is more stiff than I would like over some surfaces.

Way to many people with "imagined" symptoms and people looking for an excuse to dump their trucks.
I would encourage you to take the truck on a long test drive WITHOUT the salesperson and without the radio on. Take someone else with you and see if they have any sort of reaction to the pressure changes if they do actually exist.

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for being misinformed and biased, always a good start on the forums

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BS

If you have to be told to "feel" for an issue, you don't have it.
I don't doubt that there are a VERY FEW that have a legit issue on the buffeting, but the majority of this simply comes from people who are not use to driving big vehicles with large sealed interior spaces.

I have a 2015 Tahoe LTZ (Sunroof, 22's, towing, etc) and I don't have any issues except that the ride is more stiff than I would like over some surfaces.

Way to many people with "imagined" symptoms and people looking for an excuse to dump their trucks.
I would encourage you to take the truck on a long test drive WITHOUT the salesperson and without the radio on. Take someone else with you and see if they have any sort of reaction to the pressure changes if they do actually exist.

Curious...

How many 2015's and 16's have you driven?

You know this is a known issue with a service procedure aimed at dealing with it right?

Kansas Eagle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious...

How many 2015's and 16's have you driven?

You know this is a known issue with a service procedure aimed at dealing with it right?

I have driven 5 of them and own a 2015. Not only that, but have driven big SUV's for the last 20 years.
Also the "procedure" is not achieving closure of the problems. It is merely a guess and is having mixed results. Read the autonews article.

Also, "NowZoomer", I guess I cant' compare with a ripe-old veteran like you with a whooping 21 posts !

I never said it was not an issue, I said it was VERY RARE. They have sold thousands of these trucks and I see evidence of only a very vocal few having issues. Go read the reviews by automotive professionals...not ONE mentioned they had these issues with their test vehicles. If these issues were an engineering defect, there would be thousands of them lined up at the dealerships. There is not.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have driven 5 of them and own a 2015. Not only that, but have driven big SUV's for the last 20 years.
Also the "procedure" is not achieving closure of the problems. It is merely a guess and is having mixed results. Read the autonews article.

Also, "NowZoomer", I guess I cant' compare with a ripe-old veteran like you with a whooping 21 posts !

I never said it was not an issue, I said it was VERY RARE. They have sold thousands of these trucks and I see evidence of only a very vocal few having issues. Go read the reviews by automotive professionals...not ONE mentioned they had these issues with their test vehicles. If these issues were an engineering defect, there would be thousands of them lined up at the dealerships. There is not.

Curious how you know it's a small minority that has them? Every one I've driven has the issue to one degree or another. You didn't notice buffetting or vibration (over 75mph) on any of them?

you know that any auto mag that gets a car for review generally gets it direct from a manufacturer and it's as dialed in an example as they will ever find of that model?

As for the procedure having mixed results, I agree. That does seem to be the case.

Last edited:

NOVA99

Reaction score
No buffeting issues to report. Had/Have a 2015d shorty Denali and 2015i Denali XL. Both had/have sunroofs and 22's. Combined mileage between both ~29K.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a major issue and not just in small numbers. I believe there are a few reasons why some might think there is a minimal number with problems. One, It seems that majority of the complaints are the long wheel base version...almost everyone posting in this thread have the short version. Secondly, there's a human factor as some don't seem to be affected by the buffeting/ pressure. My wife hardly ever notices it while I get a headache within 15min of driving. One of my kids complain of their ears always popping while my other two do not. I believe we'll see some real numbers soon to prove it's a MAJOR problem.

I've been in 6 different burbs and XLs and they all had the issue to some degree...some worse than others. 4 were brand new 2 were used. I've Been in one tahoe and it wasn't remotely close to my yukon xl. No pressure issue at all. Talked to a neighbor with an escalade esv and they notice it and describe it as a helicopter type drone noise but have yet to take to dealer.
The Sales mgr at my dealer never noticed until he drove mine and then when I pointed it out when driving with me in a new 2016. We then drove a used burb ltz with 35k miles on it and he stated " it feels like we're in a plane taking off". He then talked to field engineer on my behalf and was told it's a major problem and they are still trying to find a "real fix" for the buffeting. Sometimes new tires help, sometimes the roof tsb helps, etc. mine goes to body shop in 2wks to have the roof sheet metal reattached along with sound deadening installed to stiffen roof.

there are countless forums with pages and pages of horrible experiences and now the auto industry( mags) are taking notice and publishing articles on it. It's not a minor issue in small numbers like some think.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerry455