Front Wheel Alignment Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

General Mishap Co

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Driving a 2003 Yukon Denali with 190k, stock suspension and oe size tires. Just curious if anyone else is having a problem maintaining correct toe-in? Alignment corrects it for 2-3 weeks(200 miles or so) and then its right back to squirrely on acceleration, wandering on the highway and twitchy on uneven pavement and gets progressively worse with every mile.
The last alignment I had, the tech said there were not any obviously worn or damaged parts. Just wondering if its a known issue(design defect) or if I need to replace front components to maintain alignment longer than a month.

Thanks, Sean

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they tightening the jam nuts for the tie rods good and tight? That would be the only thing I can think of as being a repeat offender if all else checks out.

How do the control arm bushings look? I've seen degraded ones allow the wheel to move around, thus changing the alignment. Has your tech checked for excessive wheel bearing play? I'd probably give it a good shake down. We can help here if you want pointers to do it yourself. Or, get a second shop opinion.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When it goes back in for alignment, what adjustments are they changing to get it back in spec? Show us the before/after sheet, too, with the various measurements.

Also there are a few posts on here about the center link being installed backwards; do a search for them and verify that it's installed correctly. If you can't find one of the threads, scream and we'll dig it up.

EDIT: here's one thread about the center link:

Last edited:

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem, when I did my alignment myself.

The screws on the upper wishbone, where the camber and caster are adjusted, have to be tightened really tight, as there are significant forces acting on them.

I really tighend the screws with extensions so that they stay where they are set. If the mechanic tightens it with a normal ratchet, your axle will be in the first corner missadjusted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar