Horrible "death wobble" after new wheels/tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm gonna have to go back to the suspension drawing board. Just jacked up all 4 wheels individually and they spun without a problem.

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you drive anywhere else Double check the cotter pin in your steering nut isn't sheered off and that the nut is on tight. -> usually you'll hear a clunk over bumps when this loosens up but it will be hard to control on the highway. Been there.

+10 on the brakes being (a) problem. Pull calipers and make sure the pads still slide well and that the spring clips are still intact, check the piston seals are not deformed, and clean/re-lube the pins regardless of your temp gun. The stock calipers are notorious for uneven pad and uneven braking due to a sloppy brake job, so make sure you fully depress both pistons when you pull the pads.

You're end links are fine, don't worry about extending them until they're shot. Your CV's look like the boots will tear soon, keep an eye on those as they'll likely be slinging grease soon. I would recommend adding block's to clear the gap between your jounce bumps to help with the suspension. Possible you have a worn out shock playing a factor here too, but a lot of this can be in conjunction.

Did nearly a hundred things to improve my steering and suspension regarding $#!+ handling after cranking for big wheels. PM me maybe we can diagnose over the phone if ya still can't figure it out.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im just throwing an idea out, even though i know it will be less likely. Dodges have had issue with death wobble for a long time due to a track bar used for centering the axle. I honestly havent dont much to my front suspension since buying this tahoe, but is there anything that maintains center on a torsion suspension? when i had rams, it happened allot, and is scary as F&*K

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im just throwing an idea out, even though i know it will be less likely. Dodges have had issue with death wobble for a long time due to a track bar used for centering the axle. I honestly havent dont much to my front suspension since buying this tahoe, but is there anything that maintains center on a torsion suspension? when i had rams, it happened allot, and is scary as F&*K
Completely different suspension and needs a steering stabilizer shock or shocks in lifted applications.

BIGFOOTDUDE1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have keys turned slightly up, front is about an inch higher than the rear. Brand new 33x12.50s on 22x12s. Ever since i got the new setup on it hasn't been on the highway much. Last week after I had been going 70mph for about 15 mins, the truck basically started steering itself and I could hardly control it. I took it in and all they saw wrong was play in a wheel bearing so I got it replaced. Today on the highway at almost the same location it happened again and I thought I was going to sideswipe a semi. All steering and front suspension components are new. The only thing I can think of is after going so fast for a long enough time the problem gets bad enough that it starts to lose control like that. Needing a steering stabilizer is all I can think of. Each wheel and tire together is about 110 lbs. The old setup was maybe around 60-70. Anyone have some experience with this?
I HAD A FORD F250 THAT DID THAT TO ME. SCARED THE BEJESUS OUTA ME. LOL ENDED UP BEING THE STEERING BOX. ALSO TRY A STEERING STABILIZER WITH THE BIG TIRES....GOOD LUCK.....THE DUDE ABIDES...

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bump jounces balance the t.springs along with the key's and hex ends in the front mounts which do wear out. You'd know if you lost a spring but if they Are shot, unbalanced or aren't resting on the lower arms as intended, you'll have much lesser handling and an increase in shock bottoming in the f.e. The s.dampener is a good add on for bump-steer but with your current setup and the issue at hand..

OP
OP
wafflecakes13

wafflecakes13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bump jounces balance the t.springs along with the key's and hex ends in the front mounts which do wear out. You'd know if you lost a spring but if they Are shot, unbalanced or aren't resting on the lower arms as intended, you'll have much lesser handling and an increase in shock bottoming in the f.e. The s.dampener is a good add on for bump-steer but with your current setup and the issue at hand..

I have brand new jounce stops with spacers under them so they actually work. One side is touching the other side is very close to touching.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't mention having the wheels re-aligned after lifting the suspension.

I just replaced the stock keys with a 2" set and I can see the need for alignment from a mile away, it looks awful. just by appearance I can tell it won't drive or steer a straight path.

Notice the top of the tire sticking out further than the bottom of it resting on the ground. No way you can steer this truck properly.

What type of wear pattern are you getting on your tires?

IMG_2488.JPG

This thread has provided good suggestions for my specific application as well. I should be investigating longer end-links with new bushings, extended jounce stops or whatever they are, and CV spacers, possibly. Thanks, all

Last edited:

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://m.summitracing.com/search/part-type/sway-bar-end-links/make/chevrolet/model/tahoe

They're pretty common.

Post some pics of your setup as I am guessing that is one issue of many that are causing your "death wobble".

Ya I can't find any 2-3" extended links either. I see that 1 from Skyjacker for 6" but no happy medium. I used keywords on EBay and came up ZERO

I did gather that the +1" for HD models can be used, from what others have said; I did find that setup.

Last edited:

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have brand new jounce stops with spacers under them so they actually work. One side is touching the other side is very close to touching.
Did you ever fix it? If not check idler arm and pitman arm, and ball joints. Can't believe no one has mentioned these