HomeLink and X-10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to get X-10 to work with HomeLink?
I have been using x10 forever and would love to get my "new" (to me) 03 Yukon Denali HomeLink to work my lights...
I have found some vague instructions that tell me it is possible, but I cannot seem to get it to work...
/http://www.homelink.com/about/lighting
My Yukon has a black slider on the left side of the overhead 'console' that contains the HomeLink transmitter, the slider is mentioned in the instructions but I am not sure if fwd or backwards in learn or run...

Programming

1. Move the RUN-INSTALL slide switch to the INSTALL position.
  2. Turn the red HOUSE rotary dial to position "A" and the black UNIT rotary dial to number "1."
  3. Plug the Vehicle Interface into an outlet, preferably in the garage.
  4. Press and hold the Universal Transceiver button chosen to activate home lighting, releasing when an audible tone is heard from the Vehicle Interface. (If no tone is heard, the vehicle and the Vehicle Interface may need to be closer to each other during this procedure.)
  5. After the tone is heard, move the RUN-INSTALL slide switch to the RUN position.

I did get my Yukon to make the "audible tone is heard from the Vehicle Interface"
Any ideas??? Thanks....

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After much reading and research, I figured out what was missing.... there is a device X-10 made that I had never seen or heard of before... X10 Homelink Vehicle Interface Module 30001. That is what those instructions are for. I have one on order but they are scarce.

s-l1600.jpg

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting thought, hit us up with your progress as I may be interested in doing the same thing and didn't know a device like you mentioned existed to adapt to our trucks Homelink!

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far, I am having trouble, but I will find time over the next few days to play some more...

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, grrrr...
I played more today, and it seems we do not need the vehicle interface at all.
If I use the hand held remote and program a button on the Homelink built into the Yukon, say to A1 on... It will turn on an A1 module. Set another button on the Homelink to A1 off, it will turn off an A1 module.
The real problem I am having now is, I can set a receiver in my garage, and the Yukon will send a signal it can pick up, to say turn an A1 module with a light attached on and/or off.
So far cool, just what I want.

But, it does not seem to send the signal on into my livingroom where my main receiver is hooked up to the computer... where my 'stuff' is stored... it "should" go throughout the house, but doesnt.

I had hoped to set up an A1 on macro to turn on multiple lights as a "come home" button... and a A1off as a "leaving" button, turning off all lights but one....

But, even adding the homelink vehicle module into the mix does not help, seems that was simply un-needed if you already have X10 receivers and stuff....

Not sure how to fix this... I remember there being a problem with X10 not communicating across the 2 legs of the 220 volts in the house, so if one receiver was on one side, and the module was on another it would not work well... that may be my problem... I remember you fix that with a capacitor across the 2 legs of the 220 in your fusebox, but thats been so long ago I have forgotten....

Anyway, anyone know what I can do here?

David Paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, grrrr...

Not sure how to fix this... I remember there being a problem with X10 not communicating across the 2 legs of the 220 volts in the house, so if one receiver was on one side, and the module was on another it would not work well... that may be my problem... I remember you fix that with a capacitor across the 2 legs of the 220 in your fusebox, but thats been so long ago I have forgotten....

Anyway, anyone know what I can do here?

You are right about this fix. I used it years ago and it solved the issue I had with X10. Now your going to ask what the capacitor spec was. I got nothing right now....

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm lost. What's X10? Home link is what's in the truck, if you wanted to open a garage door, correct?

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, X-10 are home light controls... little boxes ya plug into the wall, or wall switches you install, and you can control your lights with a remote, or your computer...
I can use my computer to set any one of my 15 or so lights to come on at certain times of the day (like 5 min before dark) and dim to a preset level... use motion detectors to turn a light on, etc...
I was trying to get the button in my Yukon to turn on the lights as I come home, and turn them off as I leave... I am close but not quite there, yet...

https://www.x10.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz