High pitched ring sound with engine off!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DSN46

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So... I noticed the other day that when I turn the key to the "ACC" position, there is a very high-pitched, electronic-type ringing noise coming from the transmission area underneath. You can't hear it from inside the cab... only if you step outside. What in the world could be making such a sound? I narrowed it down to the transmission area... almost sounds like it is coming from inside the transmission. The engine is off.

Anybody have a clue?

Thank you!

2010 Tahoe LT

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you sure it's not your fuel pump? try pulling the fuel pump fuse and see if you still hear the same sound.

OP
OP
DSN46

DSN46

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm 100% sure. It's coming from the transmission area. I just replaced the fuel pump and know what they sound like. Thanks!

OP
OP
DSN46

DSN46

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So did some more messing around with it today. When I pulled the underhood fuse #19 which is the transmission control fuse, the noise stopped. It HAS to be coming from the transmission... but WHAT inside the transmission would give off a high pitched squeal with only the key on but not started?

Anyone?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did some more messing around with it today. When I pulled the underhood fuse #19 which is the transmission control fuse, the noise stopped. It HAS to be coming from the transmission... but WHAT inside the transmission would give off a high pitched squeal with only the key on but not started?

Anyone?

no clue, but I'm gonna sub to this one to find out, any idea's @swathdiver @sumo

I can't say exactly but inside the transmission resides the TCM which has the solenoids and pistons and something is amiss in there. Do you know someone with a Tech2 or bi-directional scan tool that can test them? You don't have a Hybrid do you? That transmission has two 60 KW electric motors.

OP
OP
DSN46

DSN46

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I guess I'm going to have to run down the dealer and have them hook it up. I DID find a TSB PIP4021B that refers to a high pitched whine coming from the transmission and it says it is the TCM calling for the solenoids to build up pressure and that it is a "normal" operation... BUT it says it should be doing it for only a period of about one minute... mine will go as long as I let it. Thanks again. I will let you know what I find out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadi awais