High Oil Level on Dipstick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilman

Reaction score
I went to check the oil on my Tahoe and the oil was almost halfway up the dipstick. I checked the level about 4 times over and over but the level was still coming up the same. Does anyone know what this could be or could possibly be happening?

OP
OP
L

lilman

Reaction score
I haven't started it in a 2 weeks so it was cold. I didn't see any milky oil or anything like that on it. I guees it's just overfilled.
Thanks.

longstand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL. i did that before.. Don't start the car, Remove Some of the OIL and let it Seat for a few days.

99_2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just do an oil change. Safer than trying to remove a certain amount and you'll know then that its filled up correctly.

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you didn't start the truck, the reading may be inaccurate. But if it really is overfilled, I'm with everyone else, just change the oil. You could try a nice synthetic if you haven't already done so. Might as well do oil filter while you're down there. Once the oil is changed, fire it up and let it flow before reading the dipstick. Ignore what it shows the first time you pull it out, wipe it down, slap it in for a measurement and you should be good to go.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
:wtf2: he is doing engine oil not tranny fluid. It sounds like you are saying it needs to checked with engine running which is incorrect.

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UM NO I'm not saying that at all. Maybe I should have been clear : start it up, let it flow, SHUT IT OFF, then check the dipstick.

I know how to check oil levels, thank you. I should have just worded that better.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shouldn't be showing that high from just sitting.

mines the same level whether it was driven 20 minutes ago or sat for a week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martino13