HIDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
randuff

randuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for JB, but I'd be hesitant if I were you doing a long distance retro with those in tahoe housings. The retrofitter would have to push the projector lenses right up against the front of the housings to give you max space behind them, and you still may have to dremel off some of the base to tuck them in without cutting into the beam. And if you're not comfortable doing the retro yourself you probably won't be comfortable taking the dremel to your sockets.

But I dunno ... retrofitters are a nutty bunch, and JB might just be willing to take the challenge. :)

OP
OP
randuff

randuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for JB, but I'd be hesitant if I were you doing a long distance retro with those in tahoe housings. The retrofitter would have to push the projector lenses right up against the front of the housings to give you max space behind them, and you still may have to dremel off some of the base to tuck them in without cutting into the beam. And if you're not comfortable doing the retro yourself you probably won't be comfortable taking the dremel to your sockets.

But I dunno ... retrofitters are a nutty bunch, and JB might just be willing to take the challenge. :)

But, so shinnnnny and preeeeety:gayflag:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I have a 2001 but I like my HID setup. I know the Depo headlights are halogen projectors but they work really well and the cutoff is great.

http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36389

Yup, the NBS Depo housings are one of the very rare examples where hids have a respectable output inside aftermarket halogen projector housings. Mind you this is purely by chance and not through design as none of their other aftermarket housings deliver the same results ... nevertheless, their cutoff is clean. Depo NNBS aftermarket housings however have no such luck.

Btw, it should also be noted that cutoff is but one element of successful hid projector design ... light dispersion, efficiency, width/throw, and many other elements have to combine successfully to make critical lighting safe for the driver and oncoming traffic.

Like all lighting, be it a halogen reflector, halogen projector, HID projector, or even the rare oem HID reflector setup (see 2000 envoy), different manufacturers achieve different levels of success within the above stated parameters. Hence why there are many variations of all these types of lighting.

But in general terms, other than in the rarest occasion such as the NBS Depo example, combining bulbs with housings not meant for them will always result in either failing to illuminate the road properly, failure to protect oncoming traffic from too much light, or both.

Kman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, the NBS Depo housings are one of the very rare examples where hids have a respectable output inside aftermarket halogen projector housings. Mind you this is purely by chance and not through design as none of their other aftermarket housings deliver the same results ... nevertheless, their cutoff is clean. Depo NNBS aftermarket housings however have no such luck.

Btw, it should also be noted that cutoff is but one element of successful hid projector design ... light dispersion, efficiency, width/throw, and many other elements have to combine successfully to make critical lighting safe for the driver and oncoming traffic.

Like all lighting, be it a halogen reflector, halogen projector, HID projector, or even the rare oem HID reflector setup (see 2000 envoy), different manufacturers achieve different levels of success within the above stated parameters. Hence why there are many variations of all these types of lighting.

But in general terms, other than in the rarest occasion such as the NBS Depo example, combining bulbs with housings not meant for them will always result in either failing to illuminate the road properly, failure to protect oncoming traffic from too much light, or both.

I agree. That's why I believe people who want to run HID's in their NBS Tahoes should do my setup since it is one of the rare cases where the Depos work so well. Saves people a lot of money.

Granted, running a true HID projector will produce better overall performance, the setup I'm running is extremely cost effective.

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After taking a look at the cutting required for the FXr's to fit, i decided to go with the safer bet and install the mini's instead. A low beam mini setup will still outperform having hids in stock housings anyways. Looks like i'm paying shipping to send them back again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denali21