Hidden Winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glad2badad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry for "reviving" this thread ... have an interest in mounting a winch on the front of my 2005 Tahoe and this thread caught my attention.

Followed the link to the front hitch product ... it lists the towing limit at 500lbs; would that limit the usefulness of being able to pull yourself or another vehicle out of trouble? Seems like you'd be putting more than a 500lb load on it in many applications. ???

they make front hitch kits HERE

this has a hitch mount winch
rid34741_r4_800.jpg

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats because that's a 2" receiver mount winch. And you are limited to the strength if the hitch pen. If you do the warren behind bumper hidden winch your bracket is bolted to the frame and you can use the full 12 or 15 rating of the winch itself as it is mounted to the frame.

Using a hitch style is not recommended.

glad2badad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmmm ... okay, that makes sense. Although it makes the usefulness of a winch mounted in this manner very limited it seems. I was liking the concept (using either front or back 2" receiver - hadn't given enough thought to support / weight restraints.

BTW - I love the way the hidden winch looks on some of the rigs posted in the forums. <drooling>

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have put great thought into doing one. Just been super buddy and haven't gotten around to fabricating it.

Abstrastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ended up buying the warn hidden mount and a smittybilt winch.

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh got ya. Take detail measurements for me so I can make one thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo