Help with Dorman exhaust manifold clamp (passenger rear)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

argus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an '01 Tahoe (4.8L) that the rearmost exhaust manifold bolt on the passenger side has broken off of. I bought a Dorman exhaust manifold clamp (Dorman part #917-142) and attempted installing it today. The procedure went something like this:
  1. Pull nearby plug wires.
  2. Unbolt dipstick from head.
  3. Yank dipstick. Plugged hole in block with a rag.
  4. Bolt on the manifold clamp.
  5. Try to put the dipstick tube back.
Step 5 is where I had an issue. The manifold clamp sticks out so far from the head that the dipstick tube would rub against both the manifold and the head of one of the bolts on the manifold clamp.

I noticed that some reviews on Amazon (such as this one) indicate that bending the dipstick tube is required. I don't really want to bend this if I can avoid it--also, if I bend the tube, I think I'd also have to modify the bracket that secures the tube.

However, I then got the idea to countersink the hole on the manifold clamp and use a flathead allen bolt instead of the flange bolt that is supplied with the bracket:

photo.JPG

This solved the problem of the dipstick tube rubbing on the manifold, but it still hits the clamp (though not as bad).

Does anyone have any experience with these that knows any tricks for installation?

I noticed that it seems like the dipstick tubes for later model GM's (including the 4.8's/5.3's) are routed differently, and go between cylinders 2 & 4 (like this one on PartsGeek; see also this GTO engine bay) instead of 6 & 8, like mine. I don't think I could use a dipstick tube that goes between 2 & 4 on my Tahoe because it doesn't look like there is a bolt hole to use for that.

I think my options are this: (1) see if I can find a dipstick tube that would router differently (maybe between cyl. 4 & 6?); (2) shave more material off of the manifold clamp--I think I could machine the problem side shorter; (3) get a tubing bender & try bending the dipstick tube.

Any ideas...? Anyone know anything about changes to the dipstick tube routing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401