Help needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97blueyuk

Reaction score
I know it's not a yuk or Tahoe. I am working on a 96 Chevy pickup vortec 5.0.

I was thinking the head gasket was bad and was flushing the coolant. After shutting the truck off for a few minutes it would not start again.

I pulled the air cleaner his off of throttle body and saw the the TB is coated in oil. The air hose that goes to filter has oil puddles in the ribs. I understand that's why it's not starting but why is oil in there so bad? Please help.
IMG_20170321_170135758.jpg

OP
OP
97blueyuk

97blueyuk

Reaction score
I know it's not a yuk or Tahoe. I am working on a 96 Chevy pickup vortec 5.0.

I was thinking the head gasket was bad and was flushing the coolant. After shutting the truck off for a few minutes it would not start again.

I pulled the air cleaner his off of throttle body and saw the the TB is coated in oil. The air hose that goes to filter has oil puddles in the ribs. I understand that's why it's not starting but why is oil in there so bad? Please help.
View attachment 77330

Thinking maybe oilpan too full with coolant and oil. Does this make sense?

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
^^^ That's very possible and definitely not a good situation.

Could also be some seriously high pressures in the crankcase blowing the oil up through the intake tube.

OP
OP
97blueyuk

97blueyuk

Reaction score
I'm changing the oil tomorrow to see what happens. I'll finish flushing the coolant and go from there

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
When looking at the oil, note whether it looks "milky" or looks like normal oil.
Your picture makes it hard to tell what's really going on (could be "dirty" coolant, could be oil from crankcase).

As far as your coolant flush, after draining the radiator, drain the block while you're at it (there's a plug on the driver's side that mirrors the temp sensor location on the passenger side). You'll get a few more quarts out as well as sediment if your vehicle hasn't been flushed in a while.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure that it's oil?

It looks a lot like orange Dexcool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
97blueyuk

97blueyuk

Reaction score
Positive it's oil. There is no dex cool in system. However the coolant was universal and red from tractor supply. The oil level also come up over half way on dipstick

OP
OP
97blueyuk

97blueyuk

Reaction score
Positive it's oil. There is no dex cool in system. However the coolant was universal and red from tractor supply. The oil level also come up over half way on dipstick

Oil is orange- ish. Rad is completely empty. No leaks externally. Put a little over a gallon in yesterday to flush it. It's all gone.

OP
OP
97blueyuk

97blueyuk

Reaction score
Already drained about 4 quarts dipstick looks like it's full.
IMG_20170322_140227776_HDR.jpg

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
You're looking at some nasty stuff that has expensive resolution...
Looks like you've got oil in your coolant (or coolant in your oil, whichever way you prefer to call it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645