Help needed: want to buy a Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonnyJones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick to the information that @Fosscore is telling you, hes pretty much on point about everything.

Expand your search and search areas across the country that you think might be comparable to your area. Get a feel for price, mileage and condition on those.

Use Nada Guides, KBB, CarGuru's, TruCar, Edmunds, Cars.com, Autotrader.com to search for vehicles and get great price comparisons.

I feel those prices are a little high for the mileage that is listed on those.

Don't budge on anything your looking for, stick to your guns.

This is what I'm following and I'm hoping it pays off soon.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All solid advice.

I'm finding that the closer you get to a major city, the prices on these trucks come out to be very similar to mine: average of $4k higher than outside of metro areas.

Another question that I had was being that these are generally solid trucks, would it be prudent to skip out on CPO (Certified)? I was mainly after trucks that have certification because of the peace of mind (with bumper to bumper and all), but am willing to forgo it to save money.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a 2011 Escalade ESV I found for $34k. It has 42,226 miles. Best mileage for the best price I've been able to find. Carfax history seems to show that it's been well maintained, although it does show 2 previous owners.

http://www.koonschevybuickgmc.com/u...virginia-8c490a9e0a0e0a175837ce58b45e871f.htm

Thoughts?

Edit: here's a 2013 Yukon Denali XL. Has 78K miles, and they want $38K for it. The catch is that it's Certified. This one pretty much hits all my spots: it's got a black interior, it's an XL, and it's certified!

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/682093326/overview/

But that price, tho. :-(

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The initial Escalade ESV I posted the Carfax about is out of the question. I went today to have a look at it, and as soon as they fired it up, I could hear a distinct engine knock. No go.

I looked at two other vehicles they had: another Escalade ESV, and a Yukon Denali XL. Both were 2014, and they wanted $47k for each (ridiculously high). The ESV had a strange squealing sound emanating from the engine bay despite being so new with low mileage. The Denali fared much better, although there was evidence of misalignment, as the front right tire was balding from the outermost edge.

Probably not buying anything from that dealership. Onto the last two in my previous post. I'll check those out, and then update this thread when I do.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More researching, I found these gems.

1. 2012 Escalade ESV Platinum
http://www.koonstoyotaeaston.com/us...V-easton-df4435e90a0e0a175837ce583633bbab.htm

2. 2011 Escalade ESV Premium
http://www.koonschevybuickgmc.com/u...virginia-8c490a9e0a0e0a175837ce58b45e871f.htm

3. 2013 Yukon Denali Certified

The most intriguing of the bunch is #2. It has only 44K miles and they want $33K for it. By far it's the best deal I've been able to find. However, I'm concerned because it has no warranty, which is why I am still gravitating to #3; it has the bumper to bumper certification.

What to do, what to do? Am I making a bigger deal out of certification than need be with these vehicles?

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jyi786
@DonnyJones

Hey guys. Thought I would give you something to compare in your search/decision making process.

Been looking at a 2013 Suburban LTZ 2WD, private sale, 1 owner (happens to be my employer). Currently 17500 miles and more as it is a DD. All service records, no recalls, bumper to bumper warranty just ran out in June 2016. Engine and powertrain warranty good for 2 more years of the 5 total years. Body is perfect, other than 3 small dings and a few rock chips on the hood. There are 2 of the dreaded dash cracks by the passenger airbag, a few small spots on the carpet from the previous owner little kids that still need some attention. The A/C buttons are showing some paint wear (a well noted problem, even figuring how often the A/C is on down here). The engine compartment and under carriage are spotless of rust (it was purchased in S. Florida). Used off and on since 2013 and usually had a cover on it during long stretches of inactivity.

The LTZ books at $34K-$43K. I searched all over S. Florida for the LTZ, Denali XL and Escalades to compare. Prices were within that range depending on private vs. dealer and misc. options e.g. that Escalade Platinum is fully kitted out and the price reflects that. I found a few low mileage 40-60K, but most were 80-105K and years ranged from 08-13 and asking the prices that you are quoting.

You know the Denali and Escalade are going to command more with the badge and motor (Escalade always more because well it's still a Caddy). It seems like you are both really close to pulling the trigger, just finding that right price that fits your budget. Just thought I'd throw that out there for your to mull over as well.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Fosscore

That was a really awesome response. Almost exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks so much again.

To get down to it, I've actually narrowed down to 3 vehicles. I will be checking them out over this weekend. 2 Caddys and 1 Yukon XL Denali. The question for me is a tradeoff:

Do I pay a lower price for a used vehicle, or do I pay the premium and get a one that is Certified Pre Owned?

I can't seem to weigh these two options accurately when considering these trucks because I haven't gotten much feedback as to whether or not this is really a big concern with these vehicles. In my case, let me give you a prime example. These 2 vehicles are exactly the same price and same mileage...but one of them is CPO. If given the choice, which would you choose? the CPO or the non-CPO one?

Certified 2013 Yukon Denali XL

Cadillac 2012 Escalade ESV Platinum
http://www.koonstoyotaeaston.com/us...V-easton-df4435e90a0e0a175837ce583633bbab.htm

I can tell you out of pure experience that if my current vehicle wasn't CPO when I bought it, I would have gotten completely screwed; it's spent more time in the shop than I have driving it, and it drives me insane with its constant rattling. But that's for another discussion.

Last edited:

DonnyJones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If all is the same then I would lean towards CPO. Comes with a warranty and buyback guarantee most likely.

It's really personal opinion though wether you want the Denali or escalade. Both are beautiful vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n