Help needed: want to buy a Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey people! I'm in the market for a Yukon Denali. I'll buy immediately if I find a good deal. I'm having major problems finding one that doesn't have an issue or ones that are not rentals. I have the following questions.

1. Should I get Certified Pre Owned, or just used? CPO of course makes the price astronomical, but gives me peace of mind.
2. How many miles is too many? What is the uppermost limit I should be looking for?
3. What price range? These trucks are VERY rare and extremely expensive where I live. You're talking $40K for a 40K mile truck.
4. What year? I've been looking at 2012-2014. I do NOT want the newer ones (2015+); the seats are way too uncomfortable

The last one I drove was GREAT; interior was perfect, power delivery was smooth, BUT when I mashed the brakes hard, it made a loud THUMP/CLUNK in the front...just once. Never happened again. As a result, I told the salesman I wouldn't consider it. Is this the infamous slip yoke lubrication problem I've been reading about?

Any help and suggestions that you all could offer would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the response. I've actually been lurking for quite a while now, so I've pretty much scoured the threads for all info, including that one. It's just that it's very difficult in my area for me to find something good, so perhaps I just need to lower my standards a bit?

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Negative ghostrider.

Stick to your guns if you have the time, patience and budget to wait or search further for the truck you really want.

Why settle for something you don't really want which means you won't love it when you drive it.

My .02. If you want that Denali, keep searching. Look a few more miles out of where you have been searching.

Good luck.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here's what I found last night.

2010 Escalade
Mileage: 127,474
Price: $25K

2010 Escalade ESV
Mileage: 82,685
Price: $31K

Are these reasonable for such vehicles with high mileage?

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jyi786

Check this thread out. Another member is on the hunt for the same Denali you are and we have chimed in a lot here.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/looking-at-2009-denali.86886/

You have to decide if you want the short of long wheelbase. Me personally I would take the longer wheelbase ESV or XL for the cargo space and better ride. Also do a search well outside of your geographic area. In the above thread I recommend searching say down by me in Florida (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Palm Beach) to get a cost perspective and compare on models, price, mileage, condition which is hard to tell unseen, etc...

Figure out your time line, budget and must haves. Post up links to the rides, so guys can see them and make comments. Escalade will always command higher price, but Escalade and XL have bigger motors. Check that thread out and do some more research too. Good luck.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roger that; I checked that thread out this morning and it had a wealth of info.

I guess my major issue is that I'm in the DC Metro area, where buying any kind of vehicle commands a ridiculous premium. Dealers know this and get away with ******, practically. I checked the KBB value of those and they are easily $4-$5k over what they should be.

I'll post up some links to get some opinions as well, and widen my search.

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've decided to narrow down to only either a Yukon XL or an Escalade ESV, as they are plenty big.

First up is a 2012 Yukon Denali XL. They want $36K for it, and it has 77,121 miles.
http://www.capitolbuickandgmc.com/V...L-AWD_4dr_1500_Denali-Greenbelt-MD/2889633783

Second, is the 2010 Escalade ESV. They want $31K for it, and it has 82,685 miles.
http://www.capitolbuickandgmc.com/V...V-6.2L_V8_AWD_Premium-Greenbelt-MD/2845485003

Thoughts? I like that ESV. Still working on getting the Carfax for it.

When I go for the test drive, what are things I should be looking for specific to this model of truck (mechanically)? I've read here things like the air compressor for the rear and shifting feel (differential).

OP
OP
J

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got the dealership to send me the Carfax for the Escalade ESV. I don't know; it looks like maybe it was a dealer vehicle?

Thoughts?
Carfax 01.jpg Carfax 02.jpg Carfax 03.jpg Carfax 04.jpg Carfax 05.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belveman