Help me choose a cat-back!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RB_Trucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after weeks of searching and research and going back and forth, I landed on the Corsa system. Found an awesome deal online and couldn't pass it up. In addition to getting a great price, it was shipped and delivered within just a few days.

Just got it installed today. Must say it sounds amazing at startup. I haven't spent too much time on the highway yet, but did notice at cruising speed you can hear it, but it's not too loud. When accelerating though, it's LOUD. And the harder you accelerate the louder it gets .

Jury is still out, really hoping I don't get tired of it.

Excellent choice dude, I’ve had my Corsa sport in my Suburban for 3 years and I’m not sick of it yet. The cold starts are still awesome and full throttle is still music to my ears.

jrgenna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How intrusive is it at cruising speeds?
If your foot is on the pedal, you can hear it.

Everything I read said cold starts were loud but that once you started driving, you wouldn't notice it (until you accelerated hard). From this, my biggest hesitation was the cold starts (didn't want to be that obnoxious neighbor waking up the neighborhood at 6am).

Yes..the cold starts are loud, but I love it. Quickly calms down and sounds great. Not sure how people didn't notice it when cruising though. Even with the windows up, AC blasting, and the radio on....I can still hear it.

Starting to think I should have gone with the Borla Touring.

TAMPATAHOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just installed the MBPR over the weekend and it sounds good on startup. Its mellow while driving and no drone while at highway speeds. Looked at the Magnaflow but sounded too much like a mustang at start up

GroceryRunnr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So after weeks of searching and research and going back and forth, I landed on the Corsa system. Found an awesome deal online and couldn't pass it up. In addition to getting a great price, it was shipped and delivered within just a few days.

Just got it installed today. Must say it sounds amazing at startup. I haven't spent too much time on the highway yet, but did notice at cruising speed you can hear it, but it's not too loud. When accelerating though, it's LOUD. And the harder you accelerate the louder it gets .

Jury is still out, really hoping I don't get tired of it.

What year is your vehicle? I was looking at this exact system with the dual exhaust but it states that is is for a 21+ vehicle.

I have a 2020 Tahoe. Let me know if this system worked with yours, as I’d prefer dual exahaust vs single

GroceryRunnr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Apparently the GM Performance Parts version of the Borla exhaust has the flapper. The aftermarket version that you buy direct from Borla does not. Despite it being up with Corsa on the high end of the price scale, I think I may try the Borla.

The Gibson people were very nice when I asked about head-pipe mating issues and leaks I'd seen online, but I just worry about the quality of their kit at literally half the cost of competing exhausts. While I would appreciate the cost savings, I would also appreciate not having to crawl under the truck to fix the exhaust ever again.

The Corsa quality and design looks great and you won't find a single bad review ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET. They also offer a very attractive discount through my GOVX account. But I just think it'll be too loud for my circumstances.

The MBRP has exceptional design, quality and a decent customer support team at a LOW price but at the end of the day I can't reconcile the fact that it sounds like a parts store cherry bomb. Numerous online reviews indicated that the interior resonance is VERY bad.

Due to the concerns I raised before, a "muffler delete" isn't an option. I want to do this one more time with a good quality cat-back and never worry about my exhaust again.

If Flowmaster made a kit for the Suburban I'd be all in because I'm a die-hard fan of the Flowmaster sound. Alas, they do not.

I think the Borla will give me what I'm looking for, but I am worried about DRONE because I had a Borla muffler welded in place of the stock muffler for about 3 weeks before I got sick of the booming drone and ripped it out.

Still can't decide...

Do you mind sharing the website you found this deal on? I too have a GovX account…
I haven’t been able to find this system on the GovX site search tab

OP
OP
Prospect62

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your vehicle? I was looking at this exact system with the dual exhaust but it states that is is for a 21+ vehicle.

I have a 2020 Tahoe. Let me know if this system worked with yours, as I’d prefer dual exahaust vs single

I have a 2016, but they're all the same 2015-2020. The 2021+ trucks use a dual exhaust factory, so I assume that's why the Corsa exhaust is dual. Unfortunately Corsa doesn't make a dual version for 2015-2020 trucks and I'm sure the 2021+ system won't fit the older trucks. Gibson makes a dual system for our trucks but Gibson is trash compared to Corsa. You get what you pay for.

Your 2020 Tahoe calls for the Corsa 14859 (which is a single exhaust).

Do you mind sharing the website you found this deal on? I too have a GovX account…
I haven’t been able to find this system on the GovX site search tab
I went directly through Corsa on their website (linked above). Once you start the checkout process there's a place to enter your GOV-X credentials for the discount.

FWIW, I am absolutely thrilled with the Corsa exhaust. Coming up on six months of ownership and probably 6000 miles and it still sounds like it did the day I installed it and it looks great, too. All of the connectors and clamps are in pristine shape. The Norma joint at the cat is leak free and secure. The tips have become a little discolored from constant black soot buildup (my truck must be running a little rich), plus I don't sit and clean and polish them up. Otherwise I love it and it was worth every penny.

Video?

...been going back and forth for weeks on the Borla and Corsa. Want something that is noticable at startup without waking up the neighbors. Gets your attention in acceleration but quiet in the cabin on the highway

I don't have any video, I suppose I can take some but I find that videos don't really do the Corsa justice. It is LOUD at cold start. Like, my neighbors probably hate me - that loud. After about one minute, it settles down into a low deep burble with that classic Corsa tone, but man...cold starts can be fun or annoying depending on the circumstance. I've gotten used to it.

Around town driving the Corsa has this beautiful Corvette-style rasp/gurgle outside the vehicle that makes people do double takes. It sounds incredible and gives the truck a whole different feel. Hard acceleration is downright raucous and makes my Suburban feel like a sports car. You won't be able to keep your foot out of it.

On the flip side, cruising on the highway and around town with light throttle it's VERY tame, no drone or resonance whatsoever. Quiet as OEM inside. That's one of the things I love best about this exhaust, it's whisper quiet when you need it to be and it's a very refined kind of "loud". I've heard nothing else like it around where I live.

Have you all noticed any performance benefits? HP, torque, gas mileage ?

Not really. I wanna say my MPG maybe went up a tick from 13 to 14 but I can't say the exhaust was responsible for that, it could just be the warm weather. Any power increases I might perceive are most assuredly in my head. It's still a 6000 pound vehicle. An exhaust isn't gonna make a dent and that's fine because I didn't buy it for that. I bought it because I wanted the best quality replacement exhaust out there comparable or better than OEM with a unique and classy increase in sound and I got both of those things.

One thing to keep in mind is the flapper. Corsa doesn't use a flapper valve (most all performance exhausts delete this also). The exhaust flapper valve makes the exhaust sound less weird when "V4" mode kicks in on the AFM system. I have my AFM disabled via tune, so I have no need for a flapper valve. I assume if you have AFM enabled and you don't have a flapper valve, the exhaust might sound "choppy" or weird when the truck switches from V8 to V4. Maybe someone can chime in here with more info on that. Realistically though anyone with one of these trucks should have AFM disabled by now, anyway.

Last edited:

GroceryRunnr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016, but they're all the same 2015-2020. The 2021+ trucks use a dual exhaust factory, so I assume that's why the Corsa exhaust is dual. Unfortunately Corsa doesn't make a dual version for 2015-2020 trucks and I'm sure the 2021+ system won't fit the older trucks. Gibson makes a dual system for our trucks but Gibson is trash compared to Corsa. You get what you pay for.

Your 2020 Tahoe calls for the Corsa 14859 (which is a single exhaust).

I went directly through Corsa on their website (linked above). Once you start the checkout process there's a place to enter your GOV-X credentials for the discount.

FWIW, I am absolutely thrilled with the Corsa exhaust. Coming up on six months of ownership and probably 6000 miles and it still sounds like it did the day I installed it and it looks great, too. All of the connectors and clamps are in pristine shape. The Norma joint at the cat is leak free and secure. The tips have become a little discolored from constant black soot buildup (my truck must be running a little rich), plus I don't sit and clean and polish them up. Otherwise I love it and it was worth every penny.

I don't have any video, I suppose I can take some but I find that videos don't really do the Corsa justice. It is LOUD at cold start. Like, my neighbors probably hate me - that loud. After about one minute, it settles down into a low deep burble with that classic Corsa tone, but man...cold starts can be fun or annoying depending on the circumstance. I've gotten used to it.

Around town driving the Corsa has this beautiful Corvette-style rasp/gurgle outside the vehicle that makes people do double takes. It sounds incredible and gives the truck a whole different feel. Hard acceleration is downright raucous and makes my Suburban feel like a sports car. You won't be able to keep your foot out of it.

On the flip side, cruising on the highway and around town with light throttle it's VERY tame, no drone or resonance whatsoever. Quiet as OEM inside. That's one of the things I love best about this exhaust, it's whisper quiet when you need it to be and it's a very refined kind of "loud". I've heard nothing else like it around where I live.

Not really. I wanna say my MPG maybe went up a tick from 13 to 14 but I can't say the exhaust was responsible for that, it could just be the warm weather. Any power increases I might perceive are most assuredly in my head. It's still a 6000 pound vehicle. An exhaust isn't gonna make a dent and that's fine because I didn't buy it for that. I bought it because I wanted the best quality replacement exhaust out there comparable or better than OEM with a unique and classy increase in sound and I got both of those things.

One thing to keep in mind is the flapper. Corsa doesn't use a flapper valve (most all performance exhausts delete this also). The exhaust flapper valve makes the exhaust sound less weird when "V4" mode kicks in on the AFM system. I have my AFM disabled via tune, so I have no need for a flapper valve. I assume if you have AFM enabled and you don't have a flapper valve, the exhaust might sound "choppy" or weird when the truck switches from V8 to V4. Maybe someone can chime in here with more info on that. Realistically though anyone with one of these trucks should have AFM disabled by now, anyway.
Just ordered! And got a discount!

Looking forward to this

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed the MBPR over the weekend and it sounds good on startup. Its mellow while driving and no drone while at highway speeds. Looked at the Magnaflow but sounded too much like a mustang at start up
How do you like the MBRP a week later?

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cat-Back. was gone for few days.

Attachments

• 71396437406__A4DF288E-1212-4D27-A9E3-245DF6A23634.jpeg
    71396437406__A4DF288E-1212-4D27-A9E3-245DF6A23634.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members