HEEEELP with audio amps and low voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello to everyone, I've tried looking every where for the answers to my crisis but no one has the same issue.

2004 Tahoe 5.3 v8 4x4 LS non-bose

I have a 4 channel amp and a mono block class d amp hooked up and when the bass hits my 4 channel goes to a whisper volume.

I have tried the big 3 and now my voltage is around 10 volts. Battery is a XSPower D3400 that I got in January this year. I changed the Alternator in July of 2015. I did notice that my positive coming from my alternator was corroded and the sleeve was all brittle. The end that was connected to the alternator was stiff while the end that was connected to the battery was very flexible.

0/1 gauge for power and ground to a 2 way distribution block and out as 4 gauge to the amps. I'm grounding the to the seat bolt right underneath the back seat seatbelt buckle.

Please help. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hyperion

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Depending on how big your mono amp is it might be drawing a lot of amperage and pulling power from your 4 channel. You might need an extra battery in the back and/ or a high output alternator. I'd suggest buying one of those cheap cigarette lighter voltage meters so you can watch the voltage while playing the stereo but I'd bet you are dropping into the low 11s or high 10s when a bass note hits.

OP
OP
M

Marky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to change the alternator tomorrow and see if that helps some. It's only a 65x4 RMS pioneer amp and a Kenwood 900x1 RMS mono class d amp. When I turn my stereo up even the sub amp cuts out. The alternator is going to be a 140 amp from AutoZone. It's already under warranty so I just have to take it off and exchange it.

Hyperion

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's not a whole lot of wattage but it sounds like you are dropping voltage really bad. 140 amp alternator might not be enough.

OP
OP
M

Marky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to go over all my wires and reroute some of the big three. There's so many threads on doing the big three that I just chose one and its probably the culprit. I'll update tomorrow after everything.

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amps can certainly go out. They're very complicated with complex circuits and resistors. Used to run a 2 channel 600w pioneer for rears and a 4 channel Sony 1200 watt running two 12's no problem off a 3.1L beretta. There is an underlying issue here and probably due to wiring . Most likely grounds...are they painted?

OP
OP
M

Marky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No the grounds are sanded off. Originally I had a bevla bb2000.1 installed but one day after 7 months of no issues the amp fried and started smoking really bad. That's when I started noticing my voltage going down. I did buy the pioneer 4 channel from a pawn shop so I'm going to remove it and see if it makes any difference in voltage.

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if they aren't painted give the grounds a good sanding and move one ground to a new spot.

If that doesn't help you need to start eliminating things...like disconnecting one amp at a time and seeing the results

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the grounds are sanded off. Originally I had a bevla bb2000.1 installed but one day after 7 months of no issues the amp fried and started smoking really bad. That's when I started noticing my voltage going down. I did buy the pioneer 4 channel from a pawn shop so I'm going to remove it and see if it makes any difference in voltage.
Also what are you bridging? + channel 1/2 to - channel 3/4? Try reversing that as well

So - channel 1/2 to + channel 3/4. Or dont bridge at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879