headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm out driving around and noticed a Lexus RX without amber reflectors in its headlight housings. But it did have them on the side of the front fenders.

So it seems the requirement is to have them but not necessarily in the housings themselves. However since it looks better in the housings than on the bodywork I guess most manufacturers locate them there.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
I have to disagree. My 2006 Cobalt didn't have an amber reflector in the turn signal. The whole housing was chrome. GM did install amber bulbs. It was the horrible fried egg look. That did pass Virginia Inspection. It just needs to look amber when the bulb is on in order to pass inspection. Virginia inspections are very thorough. They take the time to lift the car in the air and remove tires to inspect brakes and suspension. It took over an hour every time my cars needed inspecting.

As for the lenses, I think it'll depends on the inspector. I hope the OE ha some good friends. I didn't see a DOT compliant number in the lense in the picture. No info in description either.
Not sure what head lights you have, but this picture shows an amber reflector.

8_07cobalt_ls_headlight.jpg

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So yeah, it turns out many cars have them on the side instead of the housings.

I spotted Fiat, Mini, Xterra, old Maxima, a Mercedes, BMW, and Audi, all with reflectors on their fenders. Amazing what one sees when one pays attention. :)

Not that any of this matters mind you in relation to the housings in the OP, if they are indeed black on the reflectors, they're just simply inadequate and dangerous.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Those look like the ones on my wife's 2007 Cobalt.

Here are some thatlook exactly like what was on my Cobalt. Yes, we had a his & hers thing going on.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320964339162?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

There is a orange reflector on those. According to the DOT there needs to be a reflector on the front and back of cars so that you can see the car parked at night.

The turn signal itself needs to be amber (on the front) whether its an amber bulb or amber housing.

88-98 chevy trucks use an amber bulb in the turn signal. The upper corner light is an amber reflector.

Those ebay lights don't have a reflector in the corner lights, so its not legal. You could just add a reflector to the fender if wanted to be legal.
IMG00105sm.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishin757

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
soooo what if i just leave the orange markers from the factory on? i dont want anyone hitting my truck again. it took way too long to get back.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

looks like these have the DOT marking on the bottom light and looks like they have reflectors in the marker lights http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-02-Chevy-C-K-Pickup-Suburban-Tahoe-Blazer-Blk-Headlights-Bumper-Corner-Lights-/261085803130?fits=Year:1998%7CModel:Tahoe&hash=item3cc9ed327a&item=261085803130&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soooo what if i just leave the orange markers from the factory on? i dont want anyone hitting my truck again. it took way too long to get back.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

looks like these have the DOT marking on the bottom light and looks like they have reflectors in the marker lights http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-02-Chevy-C-K-Pickup-Suburban-Tahoe-Blazer-Blk-Headlights-Bumper-Corner-Lights-/261085803130?fits=Year:1998%7CModel:Tahoe&hash=item3cc9ed327a&item=261085803130&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Not DOT legal. Bless your truck, from the factory, had an amber reflector on the side besides on the headlights/parking lights. He can't even verify if they are legal...

As state law varies from state to state, country to country, we cannot be liable for any legal issues which may arise due to the use of products. Buyer assumes responsibility for any violations of local laws and rules that may result from use of our products. Please check your local laws and research the item to make sure you are purchasing the correct items.

Must have an amber reflector in front and red reflector in the rear

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishin757

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:emotions122: anyone know where to get legal lights on the cheep? im done with ebay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ynamot

Latest posts