headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here is the headlight law... however i couldnt find anywhere the law against aftermarket headlights, Virginia Code, Chapter 10, Title 46.2.
now these will put off lower light just a fyi, i would ask a local cop or state trooper the laws against aftermarket headlights

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
Well those corner lamps aren't legal because they don't have a reflector, so I'm assuming the other lights aren't DOT legal either.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI ... often a chrome reflector in a housing that's painted black will look black to the eye/pics when the lights are off. So it could be that the reflectors in those are chrome and the pic doesn't show it. So you'd have to contact the seller/manufacturer to check.

However, they still won't be street legal since they don't have the DOT compliant amber side reflectors.

Last edited:

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine arent reflectors and i dont get pulled and i pass safty inspection

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eek, they still do yearly safety inspections in Jersey?
Most states have done away with them and only do emissions on older vehicles.

Anyhoot, lot's of folks (including me) have stuff on their vehicles that isn't compliant. It really depends on the knowledge and ambition of the leo/inspector to detect less obvious ones.

But if those housings in the op's pic are indeed black on the main beam reflectors, getting pulled over or failing inspection will be the least of the concerns ... hurting someone in and out of the vehicle due to poor visibility will be of the highest.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your right and TECH in the state of newjersey i would have to get them removed but my vehicle is registered in NC so i dont grab too much attention, who follows laws any way lol if it looks good id pay a 30 dollar ticket IMO lol

OP
OP
Fishin757

Fishin757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lens itself is clear but the back where it usually is chrome is black. I actually did ask a cop today and he said as long as the lens isn't tinted and I had amber lights on the bottom and side it should pass. And either way with the side marker I can pop those out in a second and put the factory ones in to pass inspection

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
However, they still won't be street legal since they don't have the DOT compliant amber side reflectors.

I have to disagree. My 2006 Cobalt didn't have an amber reflector in the turn signal. The whole housing was chrome. GM did install amber bulbs. It was the horrible fried egg look. That did pass Virginia Inspection. It just needs to look amber when the bulb is on in order to pass inspection. Virginia inspections are very thorough. They take the time to lift the car in the air and remove tires to inspect brakes and suspension. It took over an hour every time my cars needed inspecting.

As for the lenses, I think it'll depends on the inspector. I hope the OE ha some good friends. I didn't see a DOT compliant number in the lense in the picture. No info in description either.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmedsz