Headlight baking.....only those with experience need open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get my headlights apart to save my dang life. I started with one at 275° for 12 minutes, and gently tried various side flathead screwdrivers. No dice.

Got frustrated and sat down for a minute, decided to see if there were any videos. I found a video with a Eminem wannabe, full on with an Addidas shirt and hat, even some ****** Pam Anderson tattoos. He used a ****** older oven at 250° for 15 minutes, pulled his headlight out and pulled his lens right off with his hands.

Right now I'm feeling like a weakling, but am far from one. :banghead: I'm done for tonight, it smells like I'm cooking meth or something in here now. Probably will try again tonight. I'm thinking 250° for 20 minutes.....thoughts?

FWIW my house was built in 2013, never had a problem with the temperature or the oven cooking strangly. Just really would like to hear some folks experienced the same.....I hope. :boxed:

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
They say OEM’s are tougher to open, could be the problem...

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They say OEM’s are tougher to open, could be the problem...
I'll even admit these are cheapo $100 Amazon headlights. I've got my OEM's back in the truck, I'd rather mod the aftermarket ones since they are all nice and new. I've actually had the aftermarket ones in for 2+ months now, no leaks or any issues at all. Kind of glad I went with them, just wish I could get these MF'ers apart. :crazy:

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I haven't done 07+ lights, my 04 OEM lights I skipped the oven and used the heat gun. Just heat along the seam with the gun and as it gets hot you can start prying them open.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only opened up OEM headlights on a 2000 GMC Jimmy, but I used a heat gun. They're almost the same size as the Tahoe headlight assembly but I don't know if the adhesive is the same.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done it on Spyder's and they were difficult. I think I just left them in the oven longer. At 275 you shouldn't have a problem melting them so it won't hurt to heat them longer. They might have different sealant that melts slower. Try to start at a corner when you're prying, not in the middle of a long run. Once you get it started it should come apart.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
I'll even admit these are cheapo $100 Amazon headlights. I've got my OEM's back in the truck, I'd rather mod the aftermarket ones since they are all nice and new. I've actually had the aftermarket ones in for 2+ months now, no leaks or any issues at all. Kind of glad I went with them, just wish I could get these MF'ers apart. :crazy:

Haha those headlights can be a pain. Sounds like you have permaseal lights. They can be painful but slow and steady they will come apart. I would lower the temp a touch, 275 is high for my preference. I would try 200-240 for 15-18 and keep an eye on it the whole time. Assuming you're trying to get into the Tahoe lights so start in the bottom right corner. Stick a wide flat blade screwdriver or 1/2" scraper in the slot nearest to corner. Twist screwdriver to start the pry and be careful not to gouge the plastic. Don't expect it to move much but should see a 1/8-1/4 movement and work your way up each side of the corner. Use a razor blade to cut sealant once you see it stretching from groove. Once they get tough after about 5 minutes, re bake them and do it again. The second time should get you majority of the light and third bake will get the far corner. Side note I'm not far from you in Raleigh if you need emergent help.

OP
OP
RichardCranium

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement and replies guys. I had a couple beers to cool the nerves, and finally got the first one apart. I put this light in for 20 minutes, then gently pried around for 5 minutes.....then back in the oven for 5 minutes. Repeated until they were apart, which took 3-4 more rotations.

20171204_194912.jpg 20171204_201844.jpg

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement and replies guys. I had a couple beers to cool the nerves, and finally got the first one apart. I put this light in for 20 minutes, then gently pried around for 5 minutes.....then back in the oven for 5 minutes. Repeated until they were apart, which took 3-4 more rotations.

View attachment 188194 View attachment 188195

Noice job. What kind of beer did you use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick