First experience with headlight removal...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polaris425

Reaction score
SO... It aint easy getting to the bulbs to replace them on this thing. (2009 Tahoe LT).

I took the two top screws out, started pulling, the top seemed to pop right out but something below was catching it. After wiggling and snatching for a few minutes I grabbed a flash light and started looking under the headlight pod. Yep, a tab that tucked down behind the bumper...

You have to take the freaking bumper loose, just to get the head light out to replace a dagblame bulb? Geesh...

Not any more. Hacksaw blade. That tab is gone now. Light popped right out (sort of). Replace the bulb, and slapped her back in. Put the screws back in, and she doesn't move at all. So I'm not real sure why that stupid tab was down there. Being removed definitely hasn't affected the headlight pod at all.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fought with my passenger-side headlight assembly for about an hour before finishing up replacing it, and I had step-by-step instructions. lol

OP
OP
Polaris425

Polaris425

Reaction score
LOL! Does it bounce when you hit bumps?

It does not. I pushed on it and tried to make it move, and it doesn't. There are other little tabs back there (the pin style) that line it up and keep it steady.

I swear GM does stuff like that just make people have to go into a dealer to have even the simplest things replaced. Screw that, that's what hacksaws are for. lol

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must say as an owner of an earlier model I'm not all that impressed with GM's designing department on the newer models. My 2006 denali headlights have to long metal pins, one on either side, and they pop right out. It took less than 5 minutes replacing bulbs in my headlights last time around. But then again my headlights don't sit in the bumper. So maybe that's why. Lol. But I agree to have to loosen the whole just to replace a headlight bulb is the stupidest thing. Stupid design.

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought there was a bolt. And that you have to loosen uo the wheel well and reach in there to loosen it. I think previous owner broke it so i just had to do the 2 bolts. But one of them does bounce a little when i hit bumps

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the headlights in my NBS. Takes longer to pop the hood than it does to remove the headlights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts