Hard Trany shifts. Q’s for the pros

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Reason I’m hesitant, is I guess I’ve never been involved in digging into one and wouldn’t know what I’m looking for. I’ve done a decent amount of backyard mechanic work just nothing with trans.
Gotcha...At a glance it seems to be priced fairly consistently with what the market is bearing for those units.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dirty30

Dirty30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gotcha...At a glance it seems to be priced fairly consistently with what the market is bearing for instances where the TEHCM is either re-manned or good used so I'd check with them to confirm what TEHCM is being installed (OE new, re-manned or good used) and whether it will be programmed as well as fast-adapted (they dyno test so I imagine it would be but confirm this). One of their line items mentions replacing individual solenoids but this is not possible with a 6L transmission as all are integrated into the TEHCM housing so I'd clarify that as well.

They don't replace bushings unless it shows wear but I replace all bushings with OE GM bushing kits regardless. I'd also request that they install GM's updated HD parking rod assembly, if that's not already part of the deal. Lastly, I'd find out how their warranty works, logistically as well as typical turnaround time.
Awesome info, thank you for that. Do you sell reman tranny’s? Or just work on em?

arkie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why are you hesitant to rebuild the transmission?

Per your drivablility symptoms, it's a least 50/50 you'll need to get into the case and overhaul it.

Never heard of Go-powertrain. Post a link to one of their 6L80 remans and ill take a look, give my thoughts.
16 Yukon Denali should be 8 speed

OP
OP
Dirty30

Dirty30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gotcha...At a glance it seems to be priced fairly consistently with what the market is bearing for those units.
Would it be beneficial to drop pan get a transgo valve body rebuild kit, new wire harness, new temp sensor and see if that helps any? That seems like a fairly easy process I can do one weekend.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be beneficial to drop pan get a transgo valve body rebuild kit, new wire harness, new temp sensor and see if that helps any? That seems like a fairly easy process I can do one weekend.
Sure, no harm in doing so plus you familiarize yourself with the trans. Worst case, it doesn't fix it and you just yank out unit and go through it. Meanwhile, you still have the shift kit in the VB, new harness, etc which can go right back on during overhaul.

duke90

Reaction score
Just an observation, I was experiencing the same issue with my '17 XL Denali..what felt like a hard downshift from 2-1. Replaced the motor mounts which were completely busted...solved the problem and its been about 10k miles since without issues. Prior to replacing the mounts I took it too the dealer and explained the issue to them...they kept the yukon for a day and then gave me the generic "You'll need to replace the trans" answer.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, no harm in doing so plus you familiarize yourself with the trans. Worst case, it doesn't fix it and you just yank out unit and go through it. Meanwhile, you still have the shift kit in the VB, new harness, etc which can go right back on during overhaul.
Great advice, and a new filter with the updated fluid will probably help out alot also. Dont forget to do the Superior cooler bypass while you are down there.

Personally find a good reputable builder if that doesn't fix it. But there are alot of threads on the internet of the harness and VB issue along with GM TSB on the fluid etc. Let us know what you come up with and how things work out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019