07 Silverado hard start after fueling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Hey guys I just wanted to verify I’m heading in the right direction before I pick up the part tomorrow.

Issue I’m having is a long/hard start after fueling up
Pump the pedal some after the second or third try it fires right off

Wouldn’t this be from the purge canister on the intake???

I just replaced this on my Tahoe not too long ago trying to chase down my large evap leak and the code only went away briefly before it came right back… this time I think I’ll get a oem one from the gmc place in town over the auto parts store brand.

Any input?
No codes are being thrown either by the way
The truck is a 07 Silverado 5.3

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Next time try flooring the accelerator when it won't start; that puts it into clear flood mode and cuts off the gas. That way if it starts in clear flood mode you likely have something adding fuel when it's not running, like a leaky injector or a purge solenoid on the engine that isn't closing or is intermittent.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Hey guys I just wanted to verify I’m heading in the right direction before I pick up the part tomorrow.

Issue I’m having is a long/hard start after fueling up
Pump the pedal some after the second or third try it fires right off

Wouldn’t this be from the purge canister on the intake???

I just replaced this on my Tahoe not too long ago trying to chase down my large evap leak and the code only went away briefly before it came right back… this time I think I’ll get a oem one from the gmc place in town over the auto parts store brand.

Any input?
No codes are being thrown either by the way
The truck is a 07 Silverado 5.3
I had a similar issue and it was the fuel pump.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Based on the age of this Gen it’s time to immediately swap the carbon pellet emission canister and verify it hasn’t let those little carbon pellet gremlins into your fuel system.

If you’re ok after that put an OEM fuel pump on this year’s shopping list. Aftermarket overseas generic pumps die after 12-18 Mo. The labor involved in the job means use an OEM that’ll go for another 100k+ miles.

Expect to pay about 2-$3h for an OEM lifetime guarantee pump from PartsGeek or R/A. Amazon is riddled with counterfeit except the OEM GM shop.

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Based on the age of this Gen it’s time to immediately swap the carbon pellet emission canister and verify it hasn’t let those little carbon pellet gremlins into your fuel system.

If you’re ok after that put an OEM fuel pump on this year’s shopping list. Aftermarket overseas generic pumps die after 12-18 Mo. The labor involved in the job means use an OEM that’ll go for another 100k+ miles.

Expect to pay about 2-$3h for an OEM lifetime guarantee pump from PartsGeek or R/A. Amazon is riddled with counterfeit except the OEM GM shop.
Already got a aftermarket one in it that’s why the gas gauge don’t work…
I would have hoped they would’ve changed the charcoal canister when they did the pump but who knows.
I got a stock pump I got to put in the truck when I get the time to do so.

I had a similar issue and it was the fuel pump.
It’s got a new aftermarket pump but I got the oem one in the bed.
Wouldn’t doubt if it’s acting up already honestly…

Next time try flooring the accelerator when it won't start; that puts it into clear flood mode and cuts off the gas. That way if it starts in clear flood mode you likely have something adding fuel when it's not running, like a leaky injector or a purge solenoid on the engine that isn't closing or is intermittent.
I’ll try that because the only time she started was when I pumped the gas as she was cranking after the 2nd-3rd try

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a napa pump in my 96 and it lasted about 6 months before it started cranking badly. try clicking the key forward to on, pause for a sec to let the pump prime pressure and then crank. started up clean everything time like that. straight to crank it would long crank and then stumble around for a sec to clear out.

no shop I've ever heard of changes charcoal along with a pump. they pretty much last a life time on everything but these trucks. besides the random on off vacuum leak from a crack, or I had a fueler figure out how to top off a unused truck enough to completely fill one with fuel. I've never even heard of replacing a charcoal canister considered maintenance before I got this truck.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
It’s got a new aftermarket pump but I got the oem one in the bed.
Wouldn’t doubt if it’s acting up already honestly…
The fuel pump that did that to me was an autozone aftermarket fuel pump, it wasn't even on the suv 8 months. I bit the bullet and installed an oem pump and it's been trouble free for over 5 years now.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% it's the purge solenoid. Not sure where it is on the 5.3, but on my 6.0 it's right behind the alternator. $30 part, watch a YouTube video or two and it's a 15-minute job. Biggest headache is the stupid latches on the tubing.

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
100% it's the purge solenoid. Not sure where it is on the 5.3, but on my 6.0 it's right behind the alternator. $30 part, watch a YouTube video or two and it's a 15-minute job. Biggest headache is the stupid latches on the tubing.
That’s what I’m thinking too. Regardless ima have to go into the tank eventually because the float on the aftermarket pump has the gas gauge not reading at all but that’ll be next time I come home probably. If I can get that issue fixed so she don’t act up at a gas pump that would be nice. Ima pick up the purge canister tomorrow when I go to town again

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

Reaction score
Just done it on my Tahoe but my Tahoe was clicking the gas handle off every couple of gallons so you would have to stand there to reset the pump or set it slow so it wouldn’t click off.

Never had a starting issue just a issue getting gas in the Tahoe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019