H.i.d OR led

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fleetgeo

Fleetgeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what ever you do, please for the love of sweet baby jesus do not throw LED or HID bulbs in your stock housing.

Is this due to the fact of the light being distorted because of the projector

seven9st surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED, HID and halogen bulbs all have different light emission patterns. The housings and projectors for each type of bulb is designed to focus that light into a usable pattern. When you put a bulb into a reflector bowl or projector it wasn't designed for, it can cause a lot of glare due to scattered, unfocused light. Next time you're driving at night, you'll probably see someone with very bright, glaring blue-ish headlights. That is someone who put HID bulbs into halogen reflectors. It actually send less light down the road where you actually want it, and just scatters it all over the place, namely, into oncoming traffic's eyes.

Read up on these threads that were posted earlier, lots of good info

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/fo...t-test?44158-HID-plug-n-play-fails-govt-test=

burbplayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which is brighter and better led or hid

Want to install on my Denali but I wAnt the brightest and best lights what should I choose ?
LED is far from providing the right cutoff line and light output. The guys at vanquish auto took the time to show me the difference. I bought this kit right here : HID Kit for Yukon or Tahoe

TXBowtieGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put an hid kit in my 04 tahoe and leds in the fogs. I like the pure white the leds make vs my headlights. I also did a full led upgrade to my Harley. Headlight and passing lights and the difference is night and day compared to my other motorcycle that I did hids on. Leds do not produce as much heat and the technology is quickly catching up to hid. Really at this point there is not that much difference but personal preference. Both are superior to stock.

burbplayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put an hid kit in my 04 tahoe and leds in the fogs. I like the pure white the leds make vs my headlights. I also did a full led upgrade to my Harley. Headlight and passing lights and the difference is night and day compared to my other motorcycle that I did hids on. Leds do not produce as much heat and the technology is quickly catching up to hid. Really at this point there is not that much difference but personal preference. Both are superior to stock.

Because the leds on the Harley had projectors and the hids were put on reflectors. It's all about optics and that's why the led kit or reflectors or projectors are so wrong. You would have seen day and night difference if added a good hid system on any good projectors.

TXBowtieGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the led upgrade for the Harley headlight. the passing lamps are the same but smaller. They are reflected type. And your are right. The hid went in the stock housing and I went with 4 or 5 different setups before I was satisfied. And still the pattern was not ideal. The led is a complete system so the reflectors were designed for the led as it is one complete unit. My Tahoe Hid kit was designed to fit stock housings and it does produce a nice pattern on the ground. By far the best thing I have noticed is how bright the road signs reflect. Before yall start in on me I made sure they weren't too bright to oncoming traffic. They are brighter than stock but not in your face bright. People never bright-check me even on a dark road. With all that said. To Op, always do research and ask around. Cheap is usually not best. Neither is top dollar. Happy hunting and post pics when you decide to pull the trigger.

images (8).jpg

burbplayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the led upgrade for the Harley headlight. the passing lamps are the same but smaller. They are reflected type. And your are right. The hid went in the stock housing and I went with 4 or 5 different setups before I was satisfied. And still the pattern was not ideal. The led is a complete system so the reflectors were designed for the led as it is one complete unit. My Tahoe Hid kit was designed to fit stock housings and it does produce a nice pattern on the ground. By far the best thing I have noticed is how bright the road signs reflect. Before yall start in on me I made sure they weren't too bright to oncoming traffic. They are brighter than stock but not in your face bright. People never bright-check me even on a dark road. With all that said. To Op, always do research and ask around. Cheap is usually not best. Neither is top dollar. Happy hunting and post pics when you decide to pull the trigger.

View attachment 75656

Still much better optics than the stock reflector with hid or led kit(much much worse than hid because it gives no usable light output). That's the cutoff of your led headlights you posted right there. It's focused and bright, the best you can get on reflectors headlights before stepping up to projectors.

IMG_5429.PNG

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weighing in on the better/brighter question HID vs. LED for your Denali

-HID's in projection low beam housings are going to have better distance *********** than LED bulbs in a projection or halogen housing unless it's a spot projector and you wont want that for low beam on-road. LED bulbs will last longer but not recommended over HID in your case.

-I think you'd be most satisfied with HID's in projectors as they'll ********* further down the road in general over in-housing LED bulbs. Stick around 4300k for most usable light.

-If you still want more, build yourself a combo setup with aux LED flood's and spots. I'm using simple combo floods/spots in a Tahoe and Yukon build both with projected 55w Low, 55w Hi/Fog and 300w or less bars. Light output is insane yet I don't blind oncoming traffic (using low beam). I've yet to photo drivers vantage point but here's a headshot.
IMG_20170301_220106.jpg IMG_20170301_220028.jpg IMG_20170228_171437.jpg IMG_20170301_220112.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645