H.i.d OR led

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fleetgeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which is brighter and better led or hid

Want to install on my Denali but I wAnt the brightest and best lights what should I choose ?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

seven9st surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LEDs can be as bright as HID and require no warmup time, but the housing and projector needs to be designed for LED bulbs. You can't stick an LED bulb in a HID or halogen housing and expect good output. And there are not really any aftermarket LED projectors that would easy or cheap to retrofit.

I ended up using a set of cleared ebay halogen projector headlights and doing a true HID retrofit with the mini H1s that Konvict mentioned:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/c...ftermarket/bi-xenon-morimoto-mini-h1-7-0.html

I had to remove the whole projector assembly from the housing, make a backplate, and seal the whole thing back up. I also used Morimoto 55w ballasts and 4500k bulbs.

Here's a few shots of my build and the output:

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch

OP
OP
Fleetgeo

Fleetgeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea that's what I have I have retro fitted hid bulbs into my housing but put them on them highbeam side beings due when you put hid bulbs into a halogen housing doesn't it disort the light

seven9st surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea that's what I have I have retro fitted hid bulbs into my housing but put them on them highbeam side beings due when you put hid bulbs into a halogen housing doesn't it disort the light

You retrofitted an HID projector in the highbeam side, or just put an HID bulb in the highbeam halogen reflector bowl? I hope you meant the former... HID bulbs in halogen reflectors glare like crazy, perform poorly, and are pretty unsafe for oncoming cars (refer to the info thread posted above). I guess it wouldn't be as bog a deal if you're only using them as high beams, but still...

Raul Contreras

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So th
LEDs can be as bright as HID and require no warmup time, but the housing and projector needs to be designed for LED bulbs. You can't stick an LED bulb in a HID or halogen housing and expect good output. And there are not really any aftermarket LED projectors that would easy or cheap to retrofit.

I ended up using a set of cleared ebay halogen projector headlights and doing a true HID retrofit with the mini H1s that Konvict mentioned:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/c...ftermarket/bi-xenon-morimoto-mini-h1-7-0.html

I had to remove the whole projector assembly from the housing, make a backplate, and seal the whole thing back up. I also used Morimoto 55w ballasts and 4500k bulbs.

Here's a few shots of my build and the output:

fetch

fetch

fetch

fetch
So the housings you bought are aftermarket off ebay correct? How difficult would it be to modify factory denali headlights to fit led bulbs? same process?

seven9st surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So th

So the housings you bought are aftermarket off ebay correct? How difficult would it be to modify factory denali headlights to fit led bulbs? same process?

Yeah, my headlights were ebay halogen projectors. I just heated up the housing enough to break the sealant and remove the projector assembly from the housing and made a new backplate that allows the new HID projector to to sit in the same spot and use the same mounting holes (the black HDPE thing in the pics). I believe my headlight assemblies are based on the Denali projectors, so it should be the exact same process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh