gt4-g80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its really a hit or miss answer whether it will hold up or not. mine had 165,000 Miles on the rear end (3.73's w/G80) when i had the gears swapped out and the Eaton E-Locker put in it. went a year on the lift w/35's without skipping a beat.

sold the G80 to a guy i used to work with when he blew his to shit. as far as i know its still in his truck, and its off road quite often.

just be careful when your spinning and hit a hard surface such as pavement, G80 GAME OVER! haha

Last edited:

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I'm one of those "miracle" folks that had 270k miles on the original driveline (3.42s and G80). They'll last, but as stated, a LOT depends on how they vehicle is used/driven. When I had my axles, bearings, and seals replaced, I opted to replace the carrier while it was all out. The Truetrac is not the cheapest replacement, but it's got great reviews and doesn't require special maintenance... plus it just works!

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you nailed it on the head..the killer is when you are spinning and then you catch a hard surface..like spinning on ice, then hitting dry pavement..i suppse if you have the power to keep it spinning, you are better off then spinning and then it coming to a sudden stop on dry..

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you nailed it on the head..the killer is when you are spinning and then you catch a hard surface..like spinning on ice, then hitting dry pavement..i suppse if you have the power to keep it spinning, you are better off then spinning and then it coming to a sudden stop on dry..

bigger problem would be one side stopping and not the other at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo