G80 not available with vehicles with optional StabiliTrak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this must be the video tom was talking about skip to about 7 minutes for comparison test's
there are others more modern

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, still the G80 made by Eaton.
The one Eaton sells to GM for about $15 each? Gotta admit it's pretty clever; pendulums and pawls.
What's really cool about it, is that both of its features are independently adjustable.

What makes it liable to explode is that it'll let morons spin one wheel pretty fast before it locks.
There's a spring that determines how much wheelspin to tolerate before locking.
If you wind it tighter, it allows MORE wheelspin before locking itself - bad idea.

UNwind it just enough, and it will stay unlocked in turns, but it will also respond to wheelspin by locking up sooner than GM / Eaton calibrated it to.
The secondary benefit: by catching the loose wheel sooner, it becomes LESS likely to bomb.

OP
OP
strutaeng

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one Eaton sells to GM for about $15 each? Gotta admit it's pretty clever; pendulums and pawls.
What's really cool about it, is that both of its features are independently adjustable.

What makes it liable to explode is that it'll let morons spin one wheel pretty fast before it locks.
There's a spring that determines how much wheelspin to tolerate before locking.
If you wind it tighter, it allows MORE wheelspin before locking itself - bad idea.

UNwind it just enough, and it will stay unlocked in turns, but it will also respond to wheelspin by locking up sooner than GM / Eaton calibrated it to.
The secondary benefit: by catching the loose wheel sooner, it becomes LESS likely to bomb.
Yes, that's the one! LoL

Where do you a $15 price?

It works well. The problem is folks putting on huge tires and/or abusing them.

Keep in mind the G80 is made in 8.5/8.626, 9.5, 10.5 (11" and I don't know what the newest HD trucks run now, I think a 12" monster ring gear diff). Usually it's smallest G80s that suffer from catastrophic failures.

BTW, I couldn't find that 1970s video I mentioned. :-(

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eaton & GM have (or had until very recently) an agreement.
Eaton sells GM what we call Gov-Locks for $15 a piece (no I can't actually prove it).

Yes, part of the problem is abuse, and larger-than-OE tires can make things worse.
If you UNwind the spring that governs the opening of the locking pendulum,
that will make it less likely to explode.

project_x

Reaction score
I was scrolling through a 2003 Suburban trim option flyer and saw this note on the footnote. I didn't know this. I guess it makes sense because those systems kinda work opposite each other.

Does this mean that all 4x4 suburbans with StabiliTrak have open differentials? I guess, if that note is true, at least for the 2003 models?

Did this change in later years, and maybe later generations? StabiliTrak can be turned off, I believe?

I'm just curious. All my 3 GMT800 trucks have the G80, and 2 are 2wd. None have StabiliTrak though.

Our '20 passenger van does have StabiliTrak and also an open differential. Obviously, different vehicles and a large gap of years there.

I have both G80 and JL4 ( which I think is stabilitrak) RPOs on my 2005 Suburban LT 4x4.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both G80 and JL4 ( which I think is stabilitrak) RPOs on my 2005 Suburban LT 4x4.
JL4: StabiliTrak CONTROL ACTIVE BRAKE
Just curious: does your '05 'bubba (also) have
FX3: StabiliTrak, stability control system
?

project_x

Reaction score
I do not have FX3 and don't know the difference... I have a traction control button on my dash...
JL4: StabiliTrak CONTROL ACTIVE BRAKE
Just curious: does your '05 'bubba (also) have
FX3: StabiliTrak, stability control system
?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts