Grinding Noise near rear driver-side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a2t314

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I drive a 2016 Chevy Tahoe and I hear this really loud grinding/gurgling-like noise near the driver rear side of the vehicle. The noise only occurs shortly after starting the vehicle and goes away after a few seconds. It sounds like there is a quick click before the noise begins. Its almost like metal vibrating or rumbling. It happens when it hasn't been driven for a few hours. I plan to take it into a mechanic in the next few days but any insight before I do would be greatly appreciated.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drive a 2016 Chevy Tahoe and I hear this really loud grinding/gurgling-like noise near the driver rear side of the vehicle. The noise only occurs shortly after starting the vehicle and goes away after a few seconds. It sounds like there is a quick click before the noise begins. Its almost like metal vibrating or rumbling. It happens when it hasn't been driven for a few hours. I plan to take it into a mechanic in the next few days but any insight before I do would be greatly appreciated.
Does your Tahoe have AutoLevel? What you are describing sounds like the air compressor for the AutoLevel system pumping up the airbags in your rear shocks. If it’s making odd noises, it could be a sign that the compressor is starting to fail.

OP
OP
A

a2t314

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does your Tahoe have AutoLevel? What you are describing sounds like the air compressor for the AutoLevel system pumping up the airbags in your rear shocks. If it’s making odd noises, it could be a sign that the compressor is starting to fail.
I actually had my compressor replaced earlier last year, could it still be the issue? Also, it does have auto level.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Compressor replaced with what brand? Dorman? Known for crap parts. I don't have that suspension on my 05 but does that also mean that it starts up every time after sitting, that there is a leaK?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually had my compressor replaced earlier last year, could it still be the issue? Also, it does have auto level.
I’m not 100% familiar with your generation of vehicle, but based on my experiences with AutoLevel in the 2007-2014 generation of vehicles, it sure sounds like a bad compressor. A common failure mode is the airbags get a leak and the compressor runs excessively to compensate and burns itself up. What caused you to replace the compressor last year? Did you also replace the rear air shocks at the same time? As has been asked, what brand of replacement parts were used. On my 2007/2014 units, I’ve had good experiences personally with both Arnott and Dorman compressors and Arnott air shocks, but again, I don’t have any personal experience with your generation of vehicle.

Once the noise stops, what happens if you and one if your friends sit/stand on the rear bumper? Does it come back on with the added weight?

OP
OP
A

a2t314

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m not 100% familiar with your generation of vehicle, but based on my experiences with AutoLevel in the 2007-2014 generation of vehicles, it sure sounds like a bad compressor. A common failure mode is the airbags get a leak and the compressor runs excessively to compensate and burns itself up. What caused you to replace the compressor last year? Did you also replace the rear air shocks at the same time? As has been asked, what brand of replacement parts were used. On my 2007/2014 units, I’ve had good experiences personally with both Arnott and Dorman compressors and Arnott air shocks, but again, I don’t have any personal experience with your generation of vehicle.

Once the noise stops, what happens if you and one if your friends sit/stand on the rear bumper? Does it come back on with the added weight?
I originally went in for an AC related issue last year, and I ended up having to have my compressor replaced. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure the brand of the part, I'm digging through some paperwork to try to find it. No rear air shocks were replaced, just the compressor.

Following what you suggested, the noise doesn't come back with the added weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts