Going to do some PM on wife's Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blazzinbird

Reaction score
So my wife has 178k on her 08 Denali. I am planning on changing out the plugs and wires, and change the oil pan gasket, and trans fluid. What else would you do at this time?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my wife has 178k on her 08 Denali. I am planning on changing out the plugs and wires, and change the oil pan gasket, and trans fluid. What else would you do at this time?

Not sure what all has been done in the past and if so, when.

Rear Differential Fluid.

If its AWD, Transfer Case Fluid and Front Differential Fluids (remove fill plug prior to removing drain plug on front diff and transfer case to make sure you can get fluid back in)

You didn't mention transmission fluid filter.

When was the last time you flushed your coolant?

Check coolant hoses for cracks

Serpentine belt and A/C Belt

I'm sure there are others that will chime in also.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Everything you listed is maintenance except the oil pan gasket, so I assume there is a leak there and it has been diagnosed correctly. Just because the oil finally drips off f the oil pan, if it is a leak, does not mean it is the oil pan gasket. It could be from up above and draining down to the oil pan. If you do all this work make sure you keep all parts receipts and document what was done and when and what mileage, so you can refer back to it if needed. Plus if you sell the rig, that list is worth money to you.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
If you are dropping the oil pan it is a great time to install a new oil pickup tube O-ring at the very least... that far in it's not much more work to install a new oil pump and timing chain... GM claims the timing chain is good for 200k miles from what I have read.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything you listed is maintenance except the oil pan gasket, so I assume there is a leak there and it has been diagnosed correctly. Just because the oil finally drips off f the oil pan, if it is a leak, does not mean it is the oil pan gasket. It could be from up above and draining down to the oil pan. If you do all this work make sure you keep all parts receipts and document what was done and when and what mileage, so you can refer back to it if needed. Plus if you sell the rig, that list is worth money to you.

If it’s AWD, please know that to get the oil pan off your going to have to remove the control arm cross member, drop the front differential and lower the steering rack.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
If it’s AWD, please know that to get the oil pan off your going to have to remove the control arm cross member, drop the front differential and lower the steering rack.

Mine is 2wd so no front diff to deal with but I actually lifted my engine VS dropping the rack... I did this because I was swapping engine mounts at the same time so it was already lifted to remove the mounts. Just another option.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Lucky you, no AWD. That means you don’t have to remove this little piece to service the rear main. Do your pan gasket while it’s out because it’d be stupid not to overlook it when it’s so easy to replace when apart.

db2d0c5f5d5ba58bb930db6b9dc30bee.jpg

fa769cb001c79b3b7adf258e34659d2c.jpg

It’d be a good time to replace the sway bar bushes and end links in poly if you’ve never touched them. That may mean you want to start spraying the bolts for a few weeks before trying to get them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I ran shops I really liked customers like you that saw the value of replacing components "while we had it apart". It was a smart thing to plan on and do and saved money in the long run. I sold my fair share of water pumps and cam/crank seals when doing timing belts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts