GM What's the deal with your engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my truck brand new in 2007, and I've never had such a bad experience with buying a new vehicle. I thought that GM Trucks were reliable and strong vehicles. That as long as I maintained it, oil change, good gas, tune up, that this engine would last me past the 200k mark...I would never had thought that at 138k the engine would throw me a curve. I've had the same problem as everybody else, with oil consumption on this engine and GM saying that it is normal for oil to burn on this engines, Specially since I've just found out that my LS has a 5.3 engine so I figured it's normal. I've also read somewhere online that GM while building this engines they didn't align the rings how they needed to be on the piston causing that famous burning oil. Which would make sense, oil slipping through rings= burning oil. But can anybody explain to me why at 138k I need to have my Tahoes engine rebuilt. I was driving to work, when my engine started sputtering and knocking, stabilitrak off, CEL ON, hooked up my machine to it and it gave me P0301, I took it to the mechanic, misfire on cylinder 1. Mechanic checked my spark plugs, wires, coils, everything OK, still the knock, then he hooked up the compression machine to check compression on the engine, and guess what!!!! NO COMPRESSION, he explained to me that is very common for GM engines to have this problem, and unfortunately his diagnose for my Tahoe was to have the engine rebuilt. WHAT!!!!! $3k to have it done, GM can you explain to me why I have to rebuild and engine at 138k, I knew that at some point I would have to do that, but at 138k come on, your consumers buy your product thinking that they have a quality USA product, I've had quite a few problems with my trucks as some as you guys know, in case you didn't here are a couple of threads I've started. http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21252 , http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21570 but this is just BS, yes, I know in this case I turn to our GM people and asked them what can you guys do for me in this case. Should an engine need a rebuild after it has been taken care of. And at 138k, any help would appreciated it.

Last edited:

imi4tth3w

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does your motor have the 4/8 cylinder mode? heard going into the 4 cylinder mode really hurts these motors. can be disabled via a custom tune. but i guess thats a little late. sorry about your motor man but there's not a lot you can do now except fix it or not.

OP
OP
L

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does your motor have the 4/8 cylinder mode? heard going into the 4 cylinder mode really hurts these motors. can be disabled via a custom tune. but i guess thats a little late. sorry about your motor man but there's not a lot you can do now except fix it or not.

I didn't know that the change from 8 to 4 on highway would hurt this engines, something new to know. As far as the engine is concern, I have a 2007 LS with a 5.3 engine, there is really not much I can do at this time, can't trade it in like this, otherwise the dealer would ****** me in what they want to give me. The situation on this truck sucks. 138k on an engine, come on, my 97 civic, has 185k and she's running fine. If you guys thinks it's fair for this to happen, then by all means let this happen to you, and lets see how the table turns. The most I haul in this vehicle is 3 little boys under the age of 10, I would understand towing a boat or using this on a construction site hauling concrete, but this is your everyday Tahoe, family truck. Keep hoeing

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you did their oil consumption survey thing where they make you bring it in to refill each time they won't help you.

That motor would get allot of build up on top of the four cylinders that won't detonate when in 4 mode. Not to mention the lifters gunk up. This is a recipe for disaster once those four kick back in.

I suggest you rebuild the motor to your liking with a cam n such. 3k should be more than enough to get some nice custom additions and get a blackbear tune to know out the 4 cyl mode. Your not alone I have read many a thread of people in your same situation, I don't want to sound inconsiderate but there are many in the 60- 80k range with the same issue. It just sucks.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the engine made it past the warranty period GM is ok with it. I remember when going 100k on a stock engine was a huge milestone. I put 600k on my diesel in my Dodge before I sold it. the new owner put another 250k on it. I still think anything over 100k on a V-8 and your doing good. Now these little inline 4 cyl engines seem to run forever but that is in it's design. A inline will last much longer. So sure it sucks to need a rebuild at 138k. Get a reman short block freshen your heads and you will have way less than 3k into it.

OP
OP
L

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you did their oil consumption survey thing where they make you bring it in to refill each time they won't help you.

That motor would get allot of build up on top of the four cylinders that won't detonate when in 4 mode. Not to mention the lifters gunk up. This is a recipe for disaster once those four kick back in.

I suggest you rebuild the motor to your liking with a cam n such. 3k should be more than enough to get some nice custom additions and get a blackbear tune to know out the 4 cyl mode. Your not alone I have read many a thread of people in your same situation, I don't want to sound inconsiderate but there are many in the 60- 80k range with the same issue. It just sucks.

Well that is what I got quoted, 3k to get it rebuilt, I just think that it sucks that I would have to fork this money, I waited for this new body style to come out, it was the 2nd Tahoe sold of the lot, I picked it out of the truck as it came into the dealer. But then again GM knows of the problem and they don't do nothing to remedy this problem. How can you have recurring business if you don't take care of the issues that you have now. The answer per GM is that it is normal for engine to burn oil. Maybe it is, maybe it's not. I just think it sucks.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple of things -

1. That sucks. 138k on these motors shouldn't even phase them. Needing one rebuilt at such low mileage is really unfortunate. Maybe I'm spoiled as a former Toyota owner...the ***-built 4.7 in my landcruiser had 150k on it when I traded it on my Tahoe and it ran like a top. Several others I've seen had 500K on the original motor/tranny. Gutless though, hence the trade.

2. Take this and use it as an opportunity to have some fun. Add a cam, new lifters, valves, valve springs and disable AFM, and build a motor that makes some nice power with close to stock reliability (I say stock reliability based on how the motor SHOULD be, not how yours is). $3k is steep for a basic rebuild though, I'd check out another shop unless you have a solid relationship with that one.

OP
OP
L

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the engine made it past the warranty period GM is ok with it. I remember when going 100k on a stock engine was a huge milestone. I put 600k on my diesel in my Dodge before I sold it. the new owner put another 250k on it. I still think anything over 100k on a V-8 and your doing good. Now these little inline 4 cyl engines seem to run forever but that is in it's design. A inline will last much longer. So sure it sucks to need a rebuild at 138k. Get a reman short block freshen your heads and you will have way less than 3k into it.

Well see, that's the thing, other car companies are running longer on their engines, just like your example. Why shouldn't a car like mine not make it past 138k. I'm a family guy, just like most of you, with 3 kids, I just can't fork out 3 grand, and not be upset at the fact that my Tahoe just took a dump. Because of a flaw that GM knew about. Misfire on piston 1 come on, P0301, no compression. It pisses me off man. Thank the lord that I have another car, otherwise I would of been f%*&ed. I work and hr and half away from home. No car, means hrs on the bus. Specially for a car that I paid 40 grand for.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Couple of things -

1. That sucks. 138k on these motors shouldn't even phase them. Needing one rebuilt at such low mileage is really unfortunate. Maybe I'm spoiled as a former Toyota owner...the ***-built 4.7 in my landcruiser had 150k on it when I traded it on my Tahoe and it ran like a top. Several others I've seen had 500K on the original motor/tranny. Gutless though, hence the trade.

2. Take this and use it as an opportunity to have some fun. Add a cam, new lifters, valves, valve springs and disable AFM, and build a motor that makes some nice power with close to stock reliability (I say stock reliability based on how the motor SHOULD be, not how yours is). $3k is steep for a basic rebuild though, I'd check out another shop unless you have a solid relationship with that one.

Well, thats the thing, I don't even know if 3k is the norm. I think mechanics just here 2007, and they think this guy needs this car let's charge him 3g's. As far as a shop, I don't even know where to begin, this is the first time ever that I would have to rebuild an engine. I don't even know what to add to make it better. I live in cali, in Monterey Park, any suggestions would be appreciated. But if GM is willing to help out, I don't mind taking it to the dealer and paying them.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that is what I got quoted, 3k to get it rebuilt, I just think that it sucks that I would have to fork this money, I waited for this new body style to come out, it was the 2nd Tahoe sold of the lot, I picked it out of the truck as it came into the dealer. But then again GM knows of the problem and they don't do nothing to remedy this problem. How can you have recurring business if you don't take care of the issues that you have now. The answer per GM is that it is normal for engine to burn oil. Maybe it is, maybe it's not. I just think it sucks.

No denying that it sucks. It truly does. The problem is that you are in a serious minority compared to the hundreds of thousands of these trucks running around today that are running fine. GM isn't going to fork over anything to fix it even if it is their fault simply due to the cost of the repair, and the fact that they can't prove (without tearing into the motor) what caused the damage.

It's all a bunch of blame-game BS. Rather than spending money to re-grease a few squeaky wheels, they are betting that the noise from a few pissed off owners will get drowned out by the majority. Most car companies are that way once a vehicle goes out of warranty.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Monterey Park is an LA suburb, right? If so you're in luck, Black Bear Performance is based out of San Diego, they are the ones that do 99% of the engine tuning on this forum. Justin and Jenna are fantastic. They aren't a full blown shop (mostly just engine tuning and performance parts), but if you send a PM to Jenna (username JennaBear) I'm sure she could point you in the right direction.

OP
OP
L

llllljrlllll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No denying that it sucks. It truly does. The problem is that you are in a serious minority compared to the hundreds of thousands of these trucks running around today that are running fine. GM isn't going to fork over anything to fix it even if it is their fault simply due to the cost of the repair, and the fact that they can't prove (without tearing into the motor) what caused the damage.

It's all a bunch of blame-game BS. Rather than spending money to re-grease a few squeaky wheels, they are betting that the noise from a few pissed off owners will get drowned out by the majority. Most car companies are that way once a vehicle goes out of warranty.

I know and I hear you. But I'm making some noise, because I am part of that minority. I paid good money for vehicle that I thought would last me past the 200k. I had few run up with GM and their dealers, check the thread I have posted before my 100k mark, and some would say my Tahoe is a lemon. But I've gone through incompetent mechanics at the dealers, and so forth. With this being the last straw, like I said I'm mad as hell that his happened. And I am venting. And just like anybody in my position I want a solution... Or options.

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Monterey Park is an LA suburb, right? If so you're in luck, Black Bear Performance is based out of San Diego, they are the ones that do 99% of the engine tuning on this forum. Justin and Jenna are fantastic. They aren't a full blown shop (mostly just engine tuning and performance parts), but if you send a PM to Jenna (username JennaBear) I'm sure she could point you in the right direction.

Just saw the 2nd part you added, I will do that. Maybe they have a suggestion as to a shop, you never know, I might end up having a truck that will last me another 100k before the fenders and wheels fall off...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160