GM Really needs to work on repair warranty policy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reno360

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took my wife's Suburban in to the Dealership last year on 4/11/16 because there was a tapping sound in the engine - sounded like a lifter or valve issue. After diagnosing the problem, the dealership determined that the lifter had collapsed, camshaft was scored, etc, etc, etc. - after complete diagnosis, the parts were ordered on 4/19/16 and the work began after they were received. After the $4k repair job, the vehicle was done on 4/28/16 and I picked it up on 4/29/16.

Fast forward to two days ago - 4/25/2017; same tapping sound coming from the engine so I take it in to the same dealership on 4/26/2017. The service rep said if it is the same problem, it should be covered under the 12mos, 12k mile warranty because I made it within two days of the warranty expiring and my wife had put less than 10k miles since it was repaired. I received a call today from the same service rep and I am now being told that, though the new parts failed, they are not under warranty because the warranty starts when you drop the truck off - (4/11/2016) not when you pick the vehicle up and begin using the parts.

I called GM and talked to a rep and they basically told me to go pound sand. The warranty starts when the vehicle is dropped off and, therefore, my repairs are out of warranty. They wouldn't even talk to me about some type of assistance due to the fact that the warranty, according to them, expired 14 days and less than 10,000 miles ago.

Funny, they don't start a warranty on a new vehicle when it is built, but when the buyer actually takes delivery. Also, my Silverado was in the shop last year for over three months having the engine, transfer case, transmission and front diff replaced (long story) - so, in effect, I lost three months of warranty on my truck because it took the dealership so long to finish the repair.

Sorry for the long read, but I have been an avid GM driver all of my life and have never seen anything like this before. I am waiting for a manger from GM to call me back, but I am not holding my breath. Looks like I may be switching brands in the near future

/rant

Chris

Last edited:

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does an engine swap take 3 mos? The guys on roadkill did it in a weekend in the snow in Summit Racing's parking lot... Anyways. I'd be pissed, and escalate that shit up the chain of command. How does the warranty start the day you dropped the vehicle off? Until they diagnosed and did the repair, there was nothing to warranty!

OP
OP
R

reno360

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How does an engine swap take 3 mos? The guys on roadkill did it in a weekend in the snow in Summit Racing's parking lot... Anyways. I'd be pissed, and escalate that shit up the chain of command. How does the warranty start the day you dropped the vehicle off? Until they diagnosed and did the repair, there was nothing to warranty!

My wife took my Silverado swimming last year and the Dealership went back and forth with the insurance company - and they were allowed to only fix one thing at a time so the gutted it first, then changed all the fluids, then cranked the engine and determined the engine was dead and there was water in the gas tank. After the engine swap, they gave it back to me and I immediately returned it because it was shifting like a borrowed mule - then, they replaced the front diff and gave it back - I returned it again... and again... and then they replaced the transmission and flashed the computer. All in all, it took three months, but, according to the GM policy, I lost the first three months of even that one because of the start date.

I truly don't understand how a warranty can begin before they even know what is wrong. And, secondly, even if they use the drop off date, I was within 14 days of expiration and under 10k miles. What kind of parts are they using?

OP
OP
R

reno360

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Silverado taking 3 months is a different scenario - my truck is doing fine. I was just using that as an example of how I would be impacted by this policy.

The Suburban was in the shop for a little over two weeks (last year) and, per GM, the warranty started when I dropped it off, not when I picked it up. I took it back for the same repair yesterday which was more than one year from when I dropped it off, but less that a year from when I picked it up. Hope that's not too confusing

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... The warranty thing is unbelievable. Even more so is the fact that the same parts are supposedly failing in a year and under 10K miles. Wow...

Hopefully spmebody recognizes the absurdity of the situation and fixes it.

However... If you decide to go to the dark side, just remember that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Silverado taking 3 months is a different scenario - my truck is doing fine. I was just using that as an example of how I would be impacted by this policy.

The Suburban was in the shop for a little over two weeks (last year) and, per GM, the warranty started when I dropped it off, not when I picked it up. I took it back for the same repair yesterday which was more than one year from when I dropped it off, but less that a year from when I picked it up. Hope that's not too confusing
I'm assuming you just didn't take their word about the start date of the warranty but that you looked at a written document that stated what the start date is?? I'd tell the dealer to "show me" where it says that.

steve34459

Reaction score
Hey, I made a post very similar. On January 2016, we took a 2010 yukon for a loud rattling noise. Turned out it was also the lifters and cam. Had a chevy dealership "fix" the problem. similar 12 month warranty. Fast foward 15 months with more miles than you and the loud rattleing is back. This time it is accompanied by a p0306 code. Gonna have a word with the dealership today.

ralphtt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have owned ten Tahoes since I bought the first one in 1995. Each year more problems. Last one was a 2015 I traded for a 2016 Outback. Walked away from that trade with a check for five figures and have no plans to ever return to Chevrolet or GM.

Customer service is the name of the game and GM just flat quit providing it for me. I'm through. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645