GM Fault injured my child

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pezboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
wow a company who claimed bankruptcy and is no longer responsible for vehicles produced by the "old GM" is stepping up to vehicles with less than 100k and fixing them. Sounds like the "new GM" is a great company. Too bad your vehicle falls outside their customer satisfaction assistance. Gota draw the line some where. I believe the warranty on most of the earlier vehicles was 3 yr 36k bumper to bumper, your vehicle is more than 3 X that. Time to buy a new car, no vehicle has perpetual warranty.

Gm wouldn't replace ours at a little over 5 years 50,000 miles.

pezboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Both. The dealership said they wouldn't do anything about it since we were past the 3 year/36 month warranty. We had a bunch of other issues with the vehicle at the same time and made a claim with GM. All they ended up covering was paying for a diagnostic fee.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You were 2 years and 12,000 miles out of warranty. Why should they cover it? Not trying to be mean but once a company does this to help someone then that person expects it for everything and everyone else does too. IMI you should feel lucky they covered the diagnostic fee.

pezboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know they have to draw the line somewhere but something as widespead as the door handles peeling should be replaced since it isn't normal wear and tear, IMO.

We bought the vehicle as a certified pre owned at 4 years 40,000 miles and right at the end of the year after we purchased it, it started falling apart. It started burning oil (AFM related) and had to have the engine cleaned and the oil deflector installed, the door handle chrome was peeling off, the paint on the dash was peeling off, the rear view mirror tilt feature stopped working on one side, the rear passenger side door was filling with water, screws fell out of the roof rack letting water leak into the cargo area, and finally the engine lost oil pressure because who knows why and had to be replaced. Maybe my expectations are too high, but a 5 year old vehicle shouldn't have had all those things wrong with it.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it should not have that many problems but some of those are not normal for a 10 year old vehicle. I think AFM is a luck of the draw problem.
I have never had an issue nor have known anyone who has. The chrome handle problem sucks but at this point they are under $20 and takes like an hour to fix.
If the mirror was set to tilt every time you back up I could see this failing in 5 years.
Never heard of screws falling out of the roof rack, my guess is someone along the line has messed with them.
There is a drain on the doors to let water out, my guess it is full of gunk that keeps plugging the holes. Take the door panel off and clean it out.
The oil pressure could have been a part going bad.

You bought a used vehicle with the risk of it not being taken care of by the previous owner. Some of these could/are GM's fault, some could be the previous owners abuse. I can see a few of these issues that you could take care in a weekend and with very little money, if you need help there is many tutorials on here on how to do things.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
All depends on how the previous owner treated it. GM service just like any other service can look over the vehicle high and low. They cant predict how it will be in the future and how you will take care of it.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to share with you a known issue of GM that has injured my child. The interior door handle chrome plating in an issue. A few days ago I had my 5 yr old in the rear seat of the yukon and when we stopped he released his seat belt and opened the door of the truck. Apparently the chrome plating has started to peel, and it cut 2 of his fingers. I did a little research and found that this is a common problem with these truck. I came accross research that shows GM created a special campaign, not a recall to address this issue should it arise. They extended the warranty to 10 yrs or 100k. I am a little over the mileage, and called GM customer care to complain. GM's customer care advised me that due to being a little over the mileage I will have to pay the diagnostic fees etc. They contacted my local dealer to try and schedule an appt.

I am very frustrated with the attitude of GM, this should not be a mileage issue item, especially when they know about the issue. I did some research and the door handles can be located in pairs for about $25. In reality is it worth paying the diagnostic fee and proceed with this???? or just purchase the handles and change them myself.

I am very surprised at the attitude of GM, when only a few years ago they needed a "bailout" utilizing my tax money to keep the company a float. and this is the thanks I received. I all of my experience owing vehicles i have never had a door handle break down like this. Honestly its my first American made vehicle, and I am contemplating severing my relationship with them. I am seriously considering either a Toyota or Infiniti product.

The idea of paying a diagnostic fee when in 2 seconds one can look at the handle and determine the issue repulses me. I wonder if GM would entertain covering an emergency room visit of a 5 yr old that suffered a laceration and was screaming like never before, and us wondering if a piece was stuck in his hand.

In the future if GM had run into an issue of finance as a result of poor marketing, and flew to a congressional meeting on a lear jet asking for favors I would draft a letter to my congressman and request he deny any assistance unless GM would mean Government Motors and prove themselves to be a company that cared about their customers.

Here is a how-to if you are moderately handy it is an easy job.. it should take about 2 hours TOTAL the first time... I can have all 4 door panels, removed, replaced in about 30 min now.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63158

How-to & where to buy...

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with you on GMs attitude especially during that whole bailout deal flying to washington dc on the cooperate jet
if you do the math GM got a 50 billion dollar bailout of taxpayers money thats about 150 bucks out of each taxpayers pocket
I wanted to share with you a known issue of GM that has injured my child. The interior door handle chrome plating in an issue. A few days ago I had my 5 yr old in the rear seat of the yukon and when we stopped he released his seat belt and opened the door of the truck. Apparently the chrome plating has started to peel, and it cut 2 of his fingers. I did a little research and found that this is a common problem with these truck. I came accross research that shows GM created a special campaign, not a recall to address this issue should it arise. They extended the warranty to 10 yrs or 100k. I am a little over the mileage, and called GM customer care to complain. GM's customer care advised me that due to being a little over the mileage I will have to pay the diagnostic fees etc. They contacted my local dealer to try and schedule an appt.

I am very frustrated with the attitude of GM, this should not be a mileage issue item, especially when they know about the issue. I did some research and the door handles can be located in pairs for about $25. In reality is it worth paying the diagnostic fee and proceed with this???? or just purchase the handles and change them myself.

I am very surprised at the attitude of GM, when only a few years ago they needed a "bailout" utilizing my tax money to keep the company a float. and this is the thanks I received. I all of my experience owing vehicles i have never had a door handle break down like this. Honestly its my first American made vehicle, and I am contemplating severing my relationship with them. I am seriously considering either a Toyota or Infiniti product.

The idea of paying a diagnostic fee when in 2 seconds one can look at the handle and determine the issue repulses me. I wonder if GM would entertain covering an emergency room visit of a 5 yr old that suffered a laceration and was screaming like never before, and us wondering if a piece was stuck in his hand.

In the future if GM had run into an issue of finance as a result of poor marketing, and flew to a congressional meeting on a lear jet asking for favors I would draft a letter to my congressman and request he deny any assistance unless GM would mean Government Motors and prove themselves to be a company that cared about their customers.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plastic chrome handle is peeling on our Honda!!!! Not my GM truck! It happens to all. I think it's all the lotion and shit my wife puts on her hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz