GM Fault injured my child

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fgxmfmq

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wanted to share with you a known issue of GM that has injured my child. The interior door handle chrome plating in an issue. A few days ago I had my 5 yr old in the rear seat of the yukon and when we stopped he released his seat belt and opened the door of the truck. Apparently the chrome plating has started to peel, and it cut 2 of his fingers. I did a little research and found that this is a common problem with these truck. I came accross research that shows GM created a special campaign, not a recall to address this issue should it arise. They extended the warranty to 10 yrs or 100k. I am a little over the mileage, and called GM customer care to complain. GM's customer care advised me that due to being a little over the mileage I will have to pay the diagnostic fees etc. They contacted my local dealer to try and schedule an appt.

I am very frustrated with the attitude of GM, this should not be a mileage issue item, especially when they know about the issue. I did some research and the door handles can be located in pairs for about $25. In reality is it worth paying the diagnostic fee and proceed with this???? or just purchase the handles and change them myself.

I am very surprised at the attitude of GM, when only a few years ago they needed a "bailout" utilizing my tax money to keep the company a float. and this is the thanks I received. I all of my experience owing vehicles i have never had a door handle break down like this. Honestly its my first American made vehicle, and I am contemplating severing my relationship with them. I am seriously considering either a Toyota or Infiniti product.

The idea of paying a diagnostic fee when in 2 seconds one can look at the handle and determine the issue repulses me. I wonder if GM would entertain covering an emergency room visit of a 5 yr old that suffered a laceration and was screaming like never before, and us wondering if a piece was stuck in his hand.

In the future if GM had run into an issue of finance as a result of poor marketing, and flew to a congressional meeting on a lear jet asking for favors I would draft a letter to my congressman and request he deny any assistance unless GM would mean Government Motors and prove themselves to be a company that cared about their customers.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your childs fingers, but honestly, it could have been yourself or your grandpa.

Not everyones handles are bad (mine at 107,000 miles without issue), but if you are having issues, I'd just get them online and swap them out myself.

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your childs fingers, but honestly, it could have been yourself or your grandpa.

Not everyones handles are bad (mine at 107,000 miles without issue), but if you are having issues, I'd just get them online and swap them out myself.

:word: Mine are at 151k (almost 152k) no issues with my interior door handles and all four doors are used constantly. Just get some new ones and install them yourself. Shouldn't take longer than 15 to 20 minutes per door.

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
Seriously??? Overreact much? It is only chrome peeling on a handle.

If this sets you off then you should sell it and buy a Toyota. BTW, I have one, they aren't that great. Way more problems before 100,000 miles than any GM car I have ever had. I will not be buying another one. I guess the door handles are still OK though.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
In the future if GM had run into an issue of finance as a result of poor marketing, and flew to a congressional meeting on a lear jet asking for favors I would draft a letter to my congressman and request he deny any assistance unless GM would mean Government Motors and prove themselves to be a company that cared about their customers.

You'll have a hard time buying a vehicle out there that the company DIDN'T take any government money at some point in time. They all have, and all will continue to do so.

As far as your handles go, your timing was unfortunate. But its simple wear and tear on the vehicle if you're over 5 years / 100k. Mine has almost 140k, all my chrome is perfectly fine, never been replaced. Some people are rougher on vehicles than others. How the vehicle is treated by its owner in no way reflects the money they received from the government. You don't want to pick that fight on here.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but this thread seems awfully familiar ... as in someone a while back also came here and accused GM that their NNBS injured their child. Iirc it was regarding the exact same part.

Sesco4

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about you sons fingers. When we bought our 07 Yukon it had around 100k miles and both front interior handles had started peeling. I ordered chrome exterior door handles and the two front interior handles and had them replaced at the same time.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chrome plated plastic parts will do this over time. I used to have an 87 Cutlass and the lever for the turn signal switch was chrome plated. Well one day the chrome started peeling and when I went to flip the turn signal I sliced my finger open. Not just a scratch, I had a razor blade type of slice on my finger. I was bleeding so badly I had to pull over and wrap a napkin around my finger. Needless to say I was a bit pissed. I had a cut finger and blood all over my pants and on my seat. I didn't even realize until I got home exactly how my finger got cut. When I looked closely at the turn signal lever that's when I realized how sharp the chrome was. I was aggravated but I didn't want to wage war against GM. I just sucked it up and bought a new turn signal lever on Egay for like 30 bucks.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but this thread seems awfully familiar ... as in someone a while back also came here and accused GM that their NNBS injured their child. Iirc it was regarding the exact same part.

I believe it was SHERIFF?

I wonder if this happened 40years ago would people just fix it or threaten lawsuits.

I'm sure if one is a little over the 100k mark, the dealership will just replace them. Can't hurt to walk in an explain the situation reasonably.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol! If that happened to me as a kid, my parents would kiss my boohoo, put a banddaid on it and gave me a machete to go clear trails in the woods for our ATV's.

Part of growing up is getting hurt and learning to deal with it. Same goes for parents, learning to deal with a child's injurys apropriatly. Not ***** and complain its someone else's fault.

Maintain and repair your vehicle and that wouldn't have happened.
How do you know that your kid hasn't been sitting back there picking at it for months, creating the problem?

What would you do if Johnny smelly butt stuck his finger on a hot brake rotor? Complain there wasn't a warning sticker and guard on them?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belveman