Getting my AFM tuned out for $150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Lightning 95

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my speed limiter was set at 98 mph. Not anymore, but I don't plan on finding out what it is now?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my speed limiter was set at 98 mph. Not anymore, but I don't plan on finding out what it is now?

Same here. I'll let physics determine my speed limit. lol

Nah, there's not enough open road for me to get this brick up to risky speeds.

OP
OP
Lightning 95

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other thing different from getting the shift points changed, it now stays out of 5-6 gear while cruising around town below 35 mph, and also stays in 1st gear below 12 mph, or about 1500rpm when it shifts to 2nd at light throttle. Has better engine braking in 4th, instead of 6th. Although it might not improve fuel economy, it accelerates much faster with less throttle now, and shifts smoothly.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine done today but haven't driven it. Jenn took it in between running her errands. She hasn't mentioned if it drives any differently and I'm not gonna bother asking her. She's not into cars and has WAY too much going on elsewhere to pay it any attention. I'm just content and fortunate that she fit it into her schedule! I'll take it for a spin when she's home and settled.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the local tunes costing you...?

On Monday I'm taking my 13 PPV to a local shop that can tune out my annoying AFM, adjust my speedo to a 1/2 inch taller tire, and adjust my shift points for $150. Is there anything to be concerned about, or what else should I have tweaked?

If you plan to get longtube headers without cats, you can have them turn off the rear O2 codes. A shop near me does this level of tuning for $150 and I plan to have AFM disabled, TM reduced to maybe 25%, and the rear O2s turned off. I think that's all...

My wild, pull-a-random-number-outta-my-ass guess is $150.

OP
OP
Lightning 95

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it was $150 cash. I should have tipped them, because it was a very nice shop with good people, and they will make tweaks for free. I guess I'll tip them if I want a change, but it is perfect for now. It is now my recommended shop for locals that ask where to go for good work. This T-bird was in the waiting area bigger than my house.
IMG_2666.JPG

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't tell much difference in the throttle response and it really doesn't feel any more powerful. But, I rarely drive the thing so I don't have much of a baseline to compare to. I can say that it stays in V8 mode and the 1-2 shift at WOT feels quicker and firmer. Also, it pulled pretty solidly up to 120+ MPH. I thought I'd be able to powerbrake it, though. Does traction control and/or Stabilitrak kill throttle or timing even if TM has been almost completely removed? I didn't think to turn those off when testing. I just put it in 1st and turned on Tow/Haul mode.

He said they typically remove 80%-85% of TM, but I'm thinking he left more in it than that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645