Get a catch can before any mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Choo Choo,
I didn't expect a problem either, but it did happen.

FatDog,
Just read my post #369, I explained what took place over time and my resolution to solve the problem.
Its all good man! Stuff happens to all of us with these things! Never hurts to keep an eye out if someone has experienced a problem. Good in my book dude!

DRC

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Known fact, put a closed catchcan system on a Dmax it will eventually cause the oil seals to blow out.
No one I've read the past 9 years on Dmax diesel forums have had any luck with a closed catchcan system, without major oil leaks.

That's why on my Dmax it has a open PCV re-route done in 2008.
I should have done the same open system on my Denali when I did it, then I wouldn't be here warning people if they started having oil leaks what to look for.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Known fact, put a closed catchcan system on a Dmax it will eventually cause the oil seals to blow out.
No one I've read the past 9 years on Dmax diesel forums have had any luck with a closed catchcan system, without major oil leaks.

That's why on my Dmax it has a open PCV re-route done in 2008.
I should have done the same open system on my Denali when I did it, then I wouldn't be here warning people if they started having oil leaks what to look for.

You've got me curious after this so I'm wondering: if I have a hose to start with, connecting the 2 points, and then I cut that hose in half and install a closed catch can in the middle which is what we are doing, how does that change things as far as creating an oil leak? It was a closed system before and it's a closed system now, only there's a filter that doesn't cause any restriction. I am not following as to how this caused your problem. And I'm not talking about your Duramax, I have no experience with that engine. Sounds like it might have had a problem before introducing a catch can. So , talking about our engines here. I'm not trying to be argumentative, and my mind is open, but I do have to admit it will be hard to convince me since I don't see how that would be possible.

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes but I guess the lazy part of me would like to just look under the hood and see oh wow there's 1/4" in there or there's only a little no need to drain it right now. Or maybe I could look and see that I could take the clear cup off and clean it out but it's got a decent amount in it

But that not really my major concern, just wondering if anyone has had experience with this one or people just go straight to catchcans.com

Gurrzt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
California - where GOD and the sun always shines
The only problem with installing a "catch can" is if you live in a "Smog Requirement" state (as I do in California), and especially if you have to go to a "State run facility". Any modification to the PCV system (i.e. catch can) will be an immediate failure on the visual part of the smog certificate test.

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Thats not a huge deal considering it literally takes 5 minutes or less to install these. Take off, get inspected, go back home, reinstall, and forget about it.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Yea why about catch cans on forced induction? I thought about using a breather type but then thought the boost might force it out the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork