Get a catch can before any mods.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metelhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been off this board for many years, but I recently found my back to find solutions.

My 09' Tahoe has been steady, clocking in at 189k; traveling sales puts on the milage. But the 'Oil Consumption' has increased which I need to change...So I replaced the Valve Cover (but in the process received the slightly wrong cover (the pcv port was of a different design and the oem hose would not connect), so I took the next logic step and went Catch Can shopping (as this would ultimate solve 2 things; most importantly was replacing the oem lcv hose(s)...
However, I ended up with 'rectangle Catch can', the mounting hardware was bleak so I improvised some and made a bracket work..etc..and got it nicely connected and solved my first problem with the valve cover- yeah!

What I didn't expect was any performance at all to making the mod, but my Tahoe feels like the chains have come off and come to life- the response is quite noticeable, the sound is slightly deeper and it just wants to go....I know I must be psycho schematic...but either way I'm enjoying the new ride. That said it seems my old pcv valve/hose must have been doing more harm than good......

Now I want more... Air intake, tuned, big brakes and 2/3 drop....I knew I shouldn't have come here;)

redeknightjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am seeing different types of catchcans at catchcans.com. Can someone point me in the right direction? I have an 07 Tahoe. Thankyou in advance

1SG Retired

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Catch cans are great for catching oil blow-by in vapor form and condensing it into the can for easy disposal. I ran a catch can in my '12 Challenger, as the Hemi setup is known for allowing a ton of oil to collect in the intake manifold without one. However, there's no way that they alone will increase power/acceleration to any noticeable degree.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Catch cans are great for catching oil blow-by in vapor form and condensing it into the can for easy disposal. I ran a catch can in my '12 Challenger, as the Hemi setup is known for allowing a ton of oil to collect in the intake manifold without one. However, there's no way that they alone will increase power/acceleration to any noticeable degree.
Yeah I don't think anyone is saying it will increase power but it damn sure will help you from losing it. I just emptied mine last night and it had about 4oz of oil in it that would normally be in my intake, on top of the pistons, coating the plugs and going out the exhaust.. long term that would be a gradual and maybe not as noticiable loss..I know I have no plans to take it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking his old PCV valve was clogged. That could explain his perceived increase in power.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
So after reading many articles on forced induction, from what I understand is that for those who supercharge we technically don't need a check valve. This is because the pvc is before the supercharger so it never sees boost. If it was a turbo setup, the whole system would be under pressure so that when a check valve would be needed.
So we can run a catch can like everyone else. From back of driver valve cover to catch can to pvc port on blower.

bacin87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with @Red Rocket. It would be hard to tell where the catch can went without lifting the engine cover, if they even noticed the catch can. I tried to make mine look as oem/factory as possible. Also why I'll be going with a airaid Jr. to keep with the factory look.
View attachment 64106

which catch can did you get? can you provide a link or name and model?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019