George B's 2000 Saturn SL2. “The Turtle”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Changed the T-Stat today and got good temperature out of it now according the the Tech2.

Concerned about the catalytic converter. It won’t set the monitor and at idle sensor 2 follows sensor 1 but I need to log while driving.

David Kriss

Reaction score
I bought a '96 SL2 new and it was a great car. Watch the oil level until you know if it uses oil. That engine had a problem with the oil rings sticking and would consume oil. Some people had luck fixing the problem by doing a piston soak with Sea Foam or something similar. You should also watch for the "reverse slam" problem if you have the automatic transmission. There is a bolt in the transmission (I think it is in the valve body) that can work loose and cause the problem. There is plenty of information online about the problem.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I bought a '96 SL2 new and it was a great car. Watch the oil level until you know if it uses oil. That engine had a problem with the oil rings sticking and would consume oil. Some people had luck fixing the problem by doing a piston soak with Sea Foam or something similar. You should also watch for the "reverse slam" problem if you have the automatic transmission. There is a bolt in the transmission (I think it is in the valve body) that can work loose and cause the problem. There is plenty of information online about the problem.
Had a 97 that I treated with seafoam for oil consumption.

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No go on the remote start. The. Button and led are missing there is a bundle of cut wires and it’s a mess under there. May take it all out come summer. It’s too cold out there now.

Going to try a factory key fob.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should make a decent car for the kid once ironed out. they where usually pretty good little cars.

i wish the astra we have now was as common as that one!

OP
OP
George B

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I ordered up the radiator and trans cooler lines for this thing today. Prices on stuff won’t be going down anytime soon. Spent $112.00 total.
She leaves a spot wherever I park it. Going to be my DD until the Daughter has her license to reduce fuel costs for the Burb.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered up the radiator and trans cooler lines for this thing today. Prices on stuff won’t be going down anytime soon. Spent $112.00 total.
She leaves a spot wherever I park it. Going to be my DD until the Daughter has her license to reduce fuel costs for the Burb.

The extensive road testing to find anything else that needs attention before you officially pass her the keys will be peace of mind for both of you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924