gear ratio question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i looked in glove box and i have gt4 rear end code so i guess thats 3.73s? and i also have g80 so is that the gov lock rear end?

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, GT4 means your ride came from the factory with 3.73 gears. The G80 means you either have factory Positraction (limited slip) or the Gov-Lock (automatic locking diff).

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its hard to say for sure. I believe "g80" was used to describe different things for different times. While at the same time, g86 = limited slip. Those things can get very confusing. Anyways, if I were to take a guess, I'd say you have the Gov-Lock, which I believe gives you almost the same results anyways. If you want to be certain, you could search around what years different diffs were used. If you want to be really, really certain, pop off the diff cover and take a look and change your diff fluid while you're at it.

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
G80 should be the same through all years. It's a gov lock or locking rear differential or just a locker. I have an open rear which is a one wheel spinning *************.

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have G80 or G86 (unless I missed it) listed in my glove-box but I'm pretty damn sure I have some sort of LSD.

Here's the results I get when I look up RPO code G80

"G80 Differential, heavy-duty locking rear
G80 Differential, automatic locking rear
G80 Differential, heavy-duty automatic locking rear
G80 Differential, limited slip rear
G80 Differential, limited slip
G80 Differential, locking, heavy-duty, rear
G80 Differential, Zexel-torsen, limited-slip, rear
G80 Differential, automatic
G80 Rear Axle: Positraction
G80 Locking, Rear Axle
G80 Axle Positraction Limited Slip
G80 Differential, locking, rear
G80 AXLE POSITRACTION LIMITED SLIP"

I think it might depend on the year and application, unless GM just tossed both terms around to mean the same thing.

OP
OP
the big blue bus

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks so its better than open rear at least. all ive read about them is they will blow up or not last long and have the nick name " gov bomb"

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pinion grenade'd on the freeway doing 85 took out the ring gear obviously but the carrier is still good. But I upgraded anyway:D:D:D!!!

Oh G80 is the same as a govlock. That is what I had. still have the carrier.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you are planning on a regear, get that thing out of there. I ran one for years, worked ok. I never had one blow up but they wear out and the traction sucks. I run a Trutrac and it is night and day, I am much happier.

OP
OP
the big blue bus

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i plan to regear whenever i do the lift and bigger tires. i guess since im allready in back might as well upgrade to a better posi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10