Gear Axle ratio question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booyahzman

Reaction score
I've been in the hunt for a good Yukon for awhile and found a nice 2005 with everyone I've been looking for except for the gear axle ratio. I had wanted a 4.10 gears, but found them to be very rare on non XL models. So, I've been settling on 3.73 gears, but none of the trucks I've looked at haven't been in the greatest shape.

On to the question, the truck I found had the RPO code of GU6, or the 3.42 gear ratio. I'm looking for a Yukon that will be able to tow up in the mountains around here in Colorado effortlessly (as much as can be expected, at least). I'm sure the 3.42s will be able to pull a trailer (looking at about 4-5k lbs tops) up the mountains, but slowly. However, the truck is a pretty good deal.

First question: what are your thoughts on the 3.42 gears and towing?

Secondly: if I decide to later on to swap out the axle from a Yukon/Tahoe with the 4.10 gears, what all would be involved in that?

Thanks in advance!

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3:42 gears with 275/55/20 tires. I don`t tow anywhere near 4-5 thousand pounds, Only about 2-3k.

I live in upstate ny which has hills that are nothing compared to where you live and every time i tow i wish i had 3:73`s or 4:10`s. It`s constantly downshifting up hills and it gets very annoying. If i didn`t have an exhaust, intake and a blackbear tune it would be even worse.

Swapping a rear axle is pretty easy, It can be done in a few hours in your driveway but it may be easier to just have new gears installed in the original rear if you`re not able to do the work yourself.

And since you live in CO i imagine you`re looking for a 4x4? If so of course you`ll be changing two sets of gears.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy- If you're 4x4 buy 2 sets of 4.10s, 2 set up kits, and at least put a tru-trac (locker) in the rear. If you're 2x4 1 set of 4.10s, 1 set up kit, and the tru-trac. And of course fluids and gaskets.

Have a good shop in your area put in the gears if you don't know what to do.

Will cost about $1000 for 2wd about double for 4x4

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3.42. Towed 6k lbs up a big long hill. Could have held 60mph and accelerated no problem but I chose to just go slower and keep the engine speed down around 2500.

If you are doing serious towing multiple times a year you're going to want the 4.10

Abstrastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3.42. Towed 6k lbs up a big long hill. Could have held 60mph and accelerated no problem but I chose to just go slower and keep the engine speed down around 2500.

If you are doing serious towing multiple times a year you're going to want the 4.10

What about a 4.30 gear because 3.73 to 4.10 isn't gonna be much of a difference at all.

OP
OP
Booyahzman

Booyahzman

Reaction score
What about a 4.30 gear because 3.73 to 4.10 isn't gonna be much of a difference at all.

Yeah, if I regear it would likely be too 4.30 as a lift would definitely be in the foreseeable near future. Also another reason I'm wondering if 3.42 gears would be sufficient if I lift before I can regear.

Sent via Tapatalk 4

chef choy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy- If you're 4x4 buy 2 sets of 4.10s, 2 set up kits, and at least put a tru-trac (locker) in the rear. If you're 2x4 1 set of 4.10s, 1 set up kit, and the tru-trac. And of course fluids and gaskets.

Have a good shop in your area put in the gears if you don't know what to do.

Will cost about $1000 for 2wd about double for 4x4

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have been looking at doing gears too. I also run 275/65/20 wheel and tire set up. If I am reading you right, I have to buy 2 sets of gears (I have 4x4) at 250 bucks a shot, and about 2000 labor? So 3 grand to do gears?

Abstrastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have been looking at doing gears too. I also run 275/65/20 wheel and tire set up. If I am reading you right, I have to buy 2 sets of gears (I have 4x4) at 250 bucks a shot, and about 2000 labor? So 3 grand to do gears?

Yes!!!

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gears at Texas Speed and Performance are $209 a set x2. Then you need set up kits x2 (bearings, chrush sleeve, shims, etc.) Fluids and gaskets x2 (depends on what type you run (up to $100 total)). If you want a eaton true trac (locker) in the rear (highly recommended) that's around $400. Then what ever a shop charges you to do the labor IDK $500-$1000?. So around $1500-$2000 range for Front and rear.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay 3.73 to 4.10 youll definatly notice the difference your wallet will be lighter because your vehicles guzzling gas now
if you not towing anything there is no reason you need to go over 4.10 gears 4.30 4.56
all your doing is empting your gas tank faster and your wallet
my ranger FX4 had 4.10 gears in the front and rear diffs with a 207hp v6 got worse gas mileage then my 4.8 liter V8 tahoe i have now with stock diff i think is 3.73 or 3.55

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts