Fuel Tank Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sylentnite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, brand new here!
I have a 09 Yukon xl 2500. This is a secondary vehicle so it's not regularly filled up except to go out of town. I've been having issues with when I do fill it up it seems to over fill and I'm getting gas coming out of the vent solenoid in back and wet gas up front to the purge solenoid causing it run like crap from being flooded.
When filling on the first click I stop and I don't try to force anymore in.
I did replace the charcoal canister and rear vent solenoid last year the first time it happened because the canister let loose with the carbon pellets(blew out lines also). I've never had this issue before, just trying to figure out what it can be and if anyone else has had the issue. No problems putting gas in and no codes either. Any help would be appreciated!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Are you still on the original fuel pump? If you are it’s time to replace it with a new OEM & sender. Also time to pull the tank and swab it out for contamination of more pellets and blow out all the lines again.

Once that carbon canister lets loose the only way to move forward is to pretty much a full dismantle and resto of the fuel tank(s) / systems. If you don’t tackle it all at the same time then you’ll constantly be chasing components 10 times harder to access than a one time refresh.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't condemn the fuel pump unless there are other symptoms.

Your purge solenoid should be closed when the ignition is off, so be sure to shut the engine off when refueling, and replace the purge valve if it's staying open.

You may need to blow out the evap lines again, as well as test the canister for being plugged.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It’s a pellet thing as well as a known issue of longevity of the f/p life span. Forgot to mention the 2nd tank should be inspected and or have it’s components changed too.

Accessibility during service tear down is the key issue here as well as parts availability so your
not stuck buying overpriced stealership parts department prices.

OP
OP
S

sylentnite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you still on the original fuel pump? If you are it’s time to replace it with a new OEM & sender. Also time to pull the tank and swab it out for contamination of more pellets and blow out all the lines again.

Once that carbon canister lets loose the only way to move forward is to pretty much a full dismantle and resto of the fuel tank(s) / systems. If you don’t tackle it all at the same time then you’ll constantly be chasing components 10 times harder to access than a one time refresh.
I'm not sure if its the original, I haven't replaced it since I've had the truck(2017). I do know the tank will need to be dropped because my sending unit doesn't seem to be working either. I have a trip I need the truck for this week, and I was going to tackle it when I get back.
I did inspect the charcoal canister and vent solenoid today and they are both full of fuel. I was able to unplug the purge solenoid and it runs fine, I'm thinking about leaving it unplugged until I can run some of the fuel out to bring the level down to where it's not going into the canister.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Take care of baby. My bro in law just sold his 08 2500 Burb w/ 240k mi for $14.5k here in SoCal. It sold in 1 hour private party. He got a ‘24 Denali XL the company leased this time. I know he’ll miss the overbuilt reliability of the Burb.

OP
OP
S

sylentnite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wouldn't condemn the fuel pump unless there are other symptoms.

Your purge solenoid should be closed when the ignition is off, so be sure to shut the engine off when refueling, and replace the purge valve if it's staying open.

You may need to blow out the evap lines again, as well as test the canister for being plugged.
I have a scan tool with live stream, and as soon as the purge solenoid is commanded open it shuts off, and when I pulled the line to it, it has fuel coming out of it not just vapor.
Other then over filling is there any other reason why fuel would be going to purge solenoid & charcoal canister. When I filled it up, the first click i stopped fueling but it seemed to still over fill. Is there a baffle or something in the tank that is suppose to prevent fuel from going in those areas?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a scan tool with live stream, and as soon as the purge solenoid is commanded open it shuts off, and when I pulled the line to it, it has fuel coming out of it not just vapor.
Other then over filling is there any other reason why fuel would be going to purge solenoid & charcoal canister. When I filled it up, the first click i stopped fueling but it seemed to still over fill. Is there a baffle or something in the tank that is suppose to prevent fuel from going in those areas?

I had this happen to a Ford at work from over filling the fuel tank.

fueler get paid like 8$ and hour, high turn over rate. so they just top everything off daily. I've had to put locking caps on stuff that doesn't get used daily. Definitely stop of the first click even when you get everything fixed up.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The dual tanks on the 2500 are set to have the fuel level sender of the larger tank turn the smaller tanks pump on when the large tanks is about 2/3 empty.

The small tank pumps all its fuel into the large tank and shuts off when it’s own level sensor says it’s empty.

If there’s failures in the level sensors or their systems it can cause the small tank to flood the large tank among other things. Both tanks should pulled, wiped out, level sensors and pumps replaced.

A dealer will get you for over $2k for the job. An Indi shop that does the job all the time in 2500/3500 trucks would be my recommendation.

This is a job you want a tech that’s experienced in doing this particular repair on. First reason is you want it done without getting robbed using OEM parts that are now guaranteed for life. Secondly you’ll want someone who knows the system who’ll do it right the first time. Lastly, this is not a job you want to do a warranty claim on when the labor is your job to do.

OP
OP
S

sylentnite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The dual tanks on the 2500 are set to have the fuel level sender of the larger tank turn the smaller tanks pump on when the large tanks is about 2/3 empty.

The small tank pumps all its fuel into the large tank and shuts off when it’s own level sensor says it’s empty.

If there’s failures in the level sensors or their systems it can cause the small tank to flood the large tank among other things. Both tanks should pulled, wiped out, level sensors and pumps replaced.

A dealer will get you for over $2k for the job. An Indi shop that does the job all the time in 2500/3500 trucks would be my recommendation.

This is a job you want a tech that’s experienced in doing this particular repair on. First reason is you want it done without getting robbed using OEM parts that are now guaranteed for life. Secondly you’ll want someone who knows the system who’ll do it right the first time. Lastly, this is not a job you want to do a warranty claim on when the labor is your job to do.
That makes sense, that's probably exactly what it's doing flooding the large tank and causing it to go into the evap. system.
I've learned my lesson with going with non oem fuel pumps. I'll respond back once I get everything broken down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
07blackhoe