Can’t Fill Gas Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
My fuelling issue wasn’t cured until the entire system was refreshed. It is a good bet to start with the evap purge valve at the filler neck though.

The savings come when purchasing your OEM fuel pump with a lifetime guarantee from PartsGeek or R/A. Find the least expensive charcoal canister (Amazon) evap purge valve & PVC (AutoZone).

Your 200k+ mileage says you have to drop your tank simply as overdue 100k maint. I used an Indi diesel tech to install and warranty the OEM parts I sourced and bought except the f/p as I was in a hurry. I paid $5h for a local OEM 09-14 f/p.

Initially I could only get 25 gal in the 30 gal tank. Restoring the system let’s almost 31 gal in now and it fills up to 30 gal without stopping. I used to take that for granted.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ty! What a blessing to have it all behind me and forgetting. Fortunately, the forum info made it possible to repair with paying Zero for diagnostic time.

Having this info available as the carbon canisters failing at the end of their service life saves a lot of time & money for new owners.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just reading through to see if you problem is similar to mine. I can't pump gas by letting the gas pump nozzle hanging by itself but if I lift the gas pump handle all the way up while it is in my Tahoe I can fill a whole tank without it clicking on me so now sure how the angle of the nozzle makes a difference...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just reading through to see if you problem is similar to mine. I can't pump gas by letting the gas pump nozzle hanging by itself but if I lift the gas pump handle all the way up while it is in my Tahoe I can fill a whole tank without it clicking on me so now sure how the angle of the nozzle makes a difference...

Lets the air escape past the nozzle as it's pushed out of the tank by the fuel going in because the other means of venting aren't working?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Over the period of a year on our 09 Esky at 140k it went from like you’re describing to worse, to intolerable. By the time I hit 155k I had done my homework and started by replacing the vapor canister purge valve solenoid which helped slightly.

Only after the OEM fuel pump, tank cleaning, evap purge valve on the motor and carbon canister did fuel dispensing return to new car status again.

If you do it that order you’ll hit what IS going to fail soon as well as replacing the lowest cost items first and the bare minimum to correct the issue without getting hosed by diagnostic time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts