Fuel tank in place where the spare tire is located.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uncharted waters here. Good luck. :) I’d be more inclined to modify the NNBS pump flange to fit the OBS lock ring. A little cutting, notching and grinding and it should fit the hole.

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uncharted waters here. Good luck. :) I’d be more inclined to modify the NNBS pump flange to fit the OBS lock ring. A little cutting, notching and grinding and it should fit the hole.

I thought about doing that but didn't want to risk doing it wrong using the obs pump seems alot easier. And the fuel gauge float and rod will be right

Found what I was looking for on the fuel lines dorman nylon fuel line repair kits a push to connect fitting over old fuel line to new end price but can probably get just the push connects and flexible replacement nylon fuel line to go rest of way to pump gotta look it up little more

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I don’t understand, @87carl, is you say you only have a 20 gallon tank, but I am pretty sure the NNBS units came with at least a 26 gallon tank and the ones with with flex fuel came with a 31 or 39 gallon tank on the LWB vehicles. My 2009 suburban had the 39 gallon tank.

I think you are making some rather quick assumptions and not fully researching your options and are going to get into trouble going down the path your taking. Slow down, do some more research and stay out of trouble.

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I don’t understand, @87carl, is you say you only have a 20 gallon tank, but I am pretty sure the NNBS units came with at least a 26 gallon tank and the ones with with flex fuel came with a 31 or 39 gallon tank on the LWB vehicles. My 2009 suburban had the 39 gallon tank.

I think you are making some rather quick assumptions and not fully researching your options and are going to get into trouble going down the path your taking. Slow down, do some more research and stay out of trouble.

Mines supposed to be a 31 gallon I think idk for sure but I can never get more than 22-24 gallons in it from full empty before it says it's full so idk what it actually is either way I fill it every 2 or 3 days which gets annoying. And it's got the typical slow fill problem and evap code saying to check gas cap. I'm sure those issues can be fixed without a new tank but I do plan in couple years to do alot more to this burbs suspension including long travel and stock fuel tank will be in way of that. Moving it would allow me to do dual exhaust if I decide to do that. Mine hasn't had a spare tire since long before I got it so spare tire mount is useless.which means that space ain't being used on mine. There's alot of reasons I want to do this. Granted there are alot of little details I am still trying to figure out but there's always a way to to fix those small details. And I'm researching how to get through the ones I know about and will have a plan for as much as I can before I start ripping out my old tank. I plan to have new tank mounted, purge valve relocated (it's currently on spare tire mount), extension hoses and wires hooked to new tank and ran over by old tank and filler neck figured out. Before I drop and disconnect stock tank. This ain't going to be a easy project but i do not think it's going to be extremely difficult.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mines supposed to be a 31 gallon I think idk for sure but I can never get more than 22-24 gallons in it from full empty before it says it's full so idk what it actually is either way I fill it every 2 or 3 days which gets annoying. And it's got the typical slow fill problem and evap code saying to check gas cap. I'm sure those issues can be fixed without a new tank but I do plan in couple years to do alot more to this burbs suspension including long travel and stock fuel tank will be in way of that. Moving it would allow me to do dual exhaust if I decide to do that. Mine hasn't had a spare tire since long before I got it so spare tire mount is useless.which means that space ain't being used on mine. There's alot of reasons I want to do this. Granted there are alot of little details I am still trying to figure out but there's always a way to to fix those small details. And I'm researching how to get through the ones I know about and will have a plan for as much as I can before I start ripping out my old tank. I plan to have new tank mounted, purge valve relocated (it's currently on spare tire mount), extension hoses and wires hooked to new tank and ran over by old tank and filler neck figured out. Before I drop and disconnect stock tank. This ain't going to be a easy project but i do not think it's going to be extremely difficult.
Just seems like an awful lot of effort for very little gain. If you just fixed your EVAP issues, you would gain back the 6 gallons that you have "lost" which is a 25% increase in fuel capacity as well as speed up your fill times. For a little more effort, you could source a 39 gallon tank that is actually designed to fit a NNBS frame and know that everything is going to fit properly. As for the dual exhaust, there are a number of folks here that have dual exhaust with the stock fuel tank.

That being said, if you have your mind set on going down this path, more power to you. Good Luck.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You had me at long travel :)

When you start doing this build, make sure to document it. I know I'd be pretty interested in seeing where it goes and how you get there. I have pondered for many nights how to get some links under there and the only way would be to move the tank. JDFab did a pretty nice build on a NBS utilizing leaf springs. There is another NNBS Tahoe that did an extensive build, google "Tahoe Prerunner" and you'll see it.

Ahh the price we pay to modify our vehicles haha.

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You had me at long travel :)

When you start doing this build, make sure to document it. I know I'd be pretty interested in seeing where it goes and how you get there. I have pondered for many nights how to get some links under there and the only way would be to move the tank. JDFab did a pretty nice build on a NBS utilizing leaf springs. There is another NNBS Tahoe that did an extensive build, google "Tahoe Prerunner" and you'll see it.

Ahh the price we pay to modify our vehicles haha.

I've seen the pre runner one that one is pretty cool. And yeah the tank is a huge limiting factor on a longer link setup so if I can move it now I won't have to worry about it. That will be a in a year or to right now finishing up a 3.5 in knuckle lift and full suspension rebuild. Modifying vehicles is fun but does get pricey anytime you want to change one thing it snowballs into several things so that it will work right lol

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just seems like an awful lot of effort for very little gain. If you just fixed your EVAP issues, you would gain back the 6 gallons that you have "lost" which is a 25% increase in fuel capacity as well as speed up your fill times. For a little more effort, you could source a 39 gallon tank that is actually designed to fit a NNBS frame and know that everything is going to fit properly. As for the dual exhaust, there are a number of folks here that have dual exhaust with the stock fuel tank.

That being said, if you have your mind set on going down this path, more power to you. Good Luck.
That 39 gallon NNBS tank is the route I would go. Way less hassle and guaranteed to work.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I was unaware that a 39 gallon tank was available for the Burbs.

The flex fuel trucks run 43.5 psi just FYI.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was unaware that a 39 gallon tank was available for the Burbs.

The flex fuel trucks run 43.5 psi just FYI.
I misspoke and shared incorrect information.

After looking back at the specs for the 2009 Suburban we had, it had the 31 gal tank. The 39 was only available on the 2500’s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA