Front suspension overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mickey_7106

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM OE is the highest rating. Oftentimes, ACDelco Gold/Professional is the same as GM OE, other times they are not and even have separate GM part numbers like those control arms in the previous posts by you and me. When Chris bought some control arms a couple of years back, he discovered that they were ACDelco and Moog CK series, I forget which was ordered. @iamdub

The GM OE control arms are about twice as much, I reckon it's because the ball joints and maybe the bushings are of higher quality.
Got it, thanks. Have to rethink what im ordering then. This truck is going to stick around for a while so i'll probably spend the extra cash for OE Arms.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM OE is the highest rating. Oftentimes, ACDelco Gold/Professional is the same as GM OE, other times they are not and even have separate GM part numbers like those control arms in the previous posts by you and me. When Chris bought some control arms a couple of years back, he discovered that they were ACDelco and Moog CK series, I forget which was ordered. @iamdub

The GM OE control arms are about twice as much, I reckon it's because the ball joints and maybe the bushings are of higher quality.

Nailed it. I ordered AC Delco Professional (now known as "Gold"), not thinking anything of it and assuming I was getting what came on it from the factory. What I got was Moog. Others have reported the same. AC Delco Original AKA GM Genuine is what was on it when it left the factory. Anything else is aftermarket and varies in quality and price with each step.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it, thanks. Have to rethink what im ordering then. This truck is going to stick around for a while so i'll probably spend the extra cash for OE Arms.

Moog is a reputable aftermarket supplier for suspension and driveline parts, but I doubt they're 150K+ mile parts like the originals. I put very little mileage on mine in a year and I got the parts super cheap, so I'm not sour about it. But, if you rely on yours for daily duties and don't wanna be repeating this work for as long as you can put off, get OE. While we're on the subject, the original equipment for the hub bearings is Timken. You can shop for either AC Delco Original, GM Genuine or Timken and you should end up with the exact same part.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I bought for mine last summer:

1642553501196.png

I should have replaced #2 and did not. I did not ultimately need 11,12, 15-18 but did not want to be waiting for parts if they were needed.

OP
OP
Mickey_7106

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ended up getting the ac delco pro :( . i went to triple check the oe part numbers and i was getting something completely different. The only thing that didnt change was the delco part. So, i have the part, whats a good grease to use? i was gonna use redline cv2 since im gonna use that for a motorcycle im repairing but ive read there's issues with grease compatability

OP
OP
Mickey_7106

Mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, what grease gun do you guys use? ive seen a lot of 4+ star guns on amazon but all the recent reviews state theyre crap

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, what grease gun do you guys use? ive seen a lot of 4+ star guns on amazon but all the recent reviews state theyre crap

Back in 2018, I bought THIS one (was $20 back then.) They have a mini version if that's more your preference. No leaks and hasn't ever given me any problems.

13UpInSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at replacing front hubs too, didnt see that mentioned

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my front struts at 110K and 170K. I’d do the struts. Even if you just use Monroe. The 4W alignment will cost you more than 2X Monroe struts. Plenty of good options on your struts. I used Bilstein B4600.

Regardless whether you do the shocks, don’t forget the bumps. Whenever the struts go we’ll be glad we have zero-timed the bumps IMG_2938.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts