Front SS Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^I'm pretty sure that's a modified Silverado SS bumper cover. There are "SS" style covers on eBay (Duraflex) that look similar. There was a Tahoe SS concept that had a cover that looked like that one, but I don't believe it was ever in production. There's a member on YouTube, "Thefabforums" that made an "SS Tahoe" and he says the bumper cover is a factory part. Maybe GM never made the actual Tahoe SS, but offered the appearance parts?

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
^^^I'm pretty sure that's a modified Silverado SS bumper cover. There are "SS" style covers on eBay (Duraflex) that look similar. There was a Tahoe SS concept that had a cover that looked like that one, but I don't believe it was ever in production. There's a member on YouTube, "Thefabforums" that made an "SS Tahoe" and he says the bumper cover is a factory part. Maybe GM never made the actual Tahoe SS, but offered the appearance parts?
I was looking on eBay, saw some made by duraflex. I'm not sure I'd do it, just looks really good. Got this pic off the forums but the member hasn't been on for a few years.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First place I went to was Street Scene's site, but didn't see anything other than their site is crappy. I saw a thread by a member on this forum, probably the owner of the one in the pic, and he mentioned that there was X amount of hours invested in the body work of the bumper cover. It also looks a bit warped in the pic, so I assumed that it was from a Siverado SS and had been modified. Thefabforum has a video on YouTube showing his SS bumper and it looks like an aftermarket piece, but not like the Duraflex. It looks more like the TBSS or SSS, just like the NBS Tahoe SS GM concept.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I gotta check it out. I'd love to get something that's bolt and go, but I can see that's not gonna happen.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
That Duraflex one is probably your best option for that. After paint, of course.

Here it is on ebay.
Think so? I read in the description how fiberglass needs a lot of work, sometimes, to get it right. Sometimes needing to add more glass due to fitment issues. Honestly, more work then I'm willing to pay for.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think so? I read in the description how fiberglass needs a lot of work, sometimes, to get it right. Sometimes needing to add more glass due to fitment issues. Honestly, more work then I'm willing to pay for.

I didn't see all that. I knew this contained fiberglass, but nothing like the old school rigid fiberglass parts. Their online videos show a raw/primed product with what looks to have a paint-ready surface.

I found this:

"Duraflex is an FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic) body kit and aerodynamics product line. The Duraflex product line differs from the competition in the manufacturing techniques and proprietary resin formula that results in a cost effective fiberglass component that is more durable and more flexible than a standard fiberglass component. Duraflex products have been found to have a reduction in shipping damages of up to 75% over the previous standard fiberglass product line that it replaced back in 2005. Duraflex is not perfect and flaw free straight from the box. Duraflex body kits and aerodynamics do require the same installation techniques and paint prep techniques as standard fiberglass body kits. Duraflex parts are not paint ready out of the box and will always require sanding the entire surface and filling any chips, scratches, and spider cracks that may be present in the base primer finish. Duraflex body kits and aero parts should not be compared to urethane products in terms of flexibility. Urethane is much more flexible but also significantly heavier and more expensive to manufacture. Duraflex body kits and aerodynamics are manufactured with the intention of offering a low priced part that has superior quality, styling and durability that will withstand normal daily driving."

Doesn't sound like much more than what's required for prepping any body pieces for paint, unless their product is much worse than what's shown online. All I can say is to search around for reviews on fit and finish out of the box. If it's just filling in small pits/nicks, that can easily be done at home. Then sand it to whatever grit your painter requires and bring it to them. Little stuff like that, your painter may not even bother charging you for it since it's easy and you're a repeat customer.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I didn't see all that. I knew this contained fiberglass, but nothing like the old school rigid fiberglass parts. Their online videos show a raw/primed product with what looks to have a paint-ready surface.

I found this:

"Duraflex is an FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic) body kit and aerodynamics product line. The Duraflex product line differs from the competition in the manufacturing techniques and proprietary resin formula that results in a cost effective fiberglass component that is more durable and more flexible than a standard fiberglass component. Duraflex products have been found to have a reduction in shipping damages of up to 75% over the previous standard fiberglass product line that it replaced back in 2005. Duraflex is not perfect and flaw free straight from the box. Duraflex body kits and aerodynamics do require the same installation techniques and paint prep techniques as standard fiberglass body kits. Duraflex parts are not paint ready out of the box and will always require sanding the entire surface and filling any chips, scratches, and spider cracks that may be present in the base primer finish. Duraflex body kits and aero parts should not be compared to urethane products in terms of flexibility. Urethane is much more flexible but also significantly heavier and more expensive to manufacture. Duraflex body kits and aerodynamics are manufactured with the intention of offering a low priced part that has superior quality, styling and durability that will withstand normal daily driving."

Doesn't sound like much more than what's required for prepping any body pieces for paint, unless their product is much worse than what's shown online. All I can say is to search around for reviews on fit and finish out of the box. If it's just filling in small pits/nicks, that can easily be done at home. Then sand it to whatever grit your painter requires and bring it to them. Little stuff like that, your painter may not even bother charging you for it since it's easy and you're a repeat customer.
Sounds doable. I'm def gonna keep Duraflex in mind. Thx for your input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71