Front end question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

psfr311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently started hearing a noise from my passenger side front end. It's almost like a squeaking noise but not so high pitched. It only happens when I have the tires cut hard left to make a U turn or something or when I am going over a speed bump even if I am crawling over it.

I can't decide if it's the shock on that side or maybe bad control arm bushings?

Its a 99 4x4 with 143k miles. As far as I know shocks and other front end components are original

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
then the shock are way overdue for replacement. however look for rub marks on inside of tire wall and on suspension components, dry rotted or cracked bushings. also grab a few parts and firmly shake them a bit to expose any loose parts.

OP
OP
P

psfr311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was planning on replacing the shocks soon.

My upper control arm bushings are starting to dry rot. I thought that could be the source of the noise also. I was also planning on replacing the entire control arm and upper ball joint.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and that could be too dried rubber will squeak however 140k miles on shocks , id bet money they are FUBAR , it will feel like a new truck with new shocks i waited till 160 and didnt relize how bad they got

noJeepshere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently started hearing a noise from my passenger side front end. It's almost like a squeaking noise but not so high pitched. It only happens when I have the tires cut hard left to make a U turn or something or when I am going over a speed bump even if I am crawling over it.

I can't decide if it's the shock on that side or maybe bad control arm bushings?

Its a 99 4x4 with 143k miles. As far as I know shocks and other front end components are original
Is it only as you're turning the wheel, or when it's fully cranked? The reason I ask is there is a difference. Mine started making squeaking sounds in tight turns, then progressively got worse to squeaking all the time, turned out to be the cv shaft was dry and going bad. Last year, it would squeak terribly as I turned, and that noise was the shock, all dried up and worthless, rubbing on itself. So when you have everything apart replacing the shock, make sure everything else is good too.

ps. my cv's went bad about the same miles as yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildfire