Front bump stops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
Its normal, they all sit like that. GM designed it that way so it rides on the bump stop.

I've heard that they're designed to be ridden on, that it's part of the design. I believe the proper name of them is "jounce stops"...and their intent is to act as part dampener and part bump stop. The problem here is I can't find anything concrete to confirm this. My 2004 Tahoe rode on the stops in stock height, and it rides on them when lowered too, so you're not alone.

DPGDirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is absolutely normal.

The angle of the arm and placement of the bumpstop mean that there's a lot more travel outwards at the tire as opposed to the movement of the lower arm inboard where the bumpstop is mounted.

Strange set-up I'll admit, but nothing to fear there. Probably just no good place to mount a bumpstop in a more outward position...

speedmachine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just ordered a set, has anyone replaced theirs yet? are they just pressed in? The center is hollow, do they unscrew? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Replaced mine the other day- they press in with no bolts or screws. Used OEM replacements, $50 for a pair from the dealer...cheaper online but mine were thrashed and couldn't wait. Also in Canada where parts tend to be more expensive. Took minutes to replace and it rides and handles SO much better, definitely worth doing if the original ones are toast.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
It is normal for the bump stops to sit on the A arms. I cut mine of thinking it was not normal and ended up replacing them because my Yukon's front end felt like it was falling apart.

Kmargaitis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2006 yukon denali and i think it has been lowered in the front. The torsion key bolts are backed out all the way and I was wondering if this is right? i was hoping someone with a stock suspension could measure their bolts and tell me how much of their bolt is showing and i can try to tighten mine up. I have read that the lower arm is supposed to be touching the bump stop but I don't know how much.

Thanks

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
kmargaitis it varies. usually bolts are pushed in 3/4 of the way but left and ride side will not sit even if both in the exact amount.

markvdb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bump Stop Design

If your tahoe has torsion bars for front springs, it is definitely designed to ride on the bump stops. Torsion bars are linear springs, they don't have any dampening ability. The bump stops provide this so there is no "wallowing" when going over curbs etc. If you replace your stock ones, try z71 stops, part number 15153959 (2002 tahoe). The difference is amazing.

DPGDirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your tahoe has torsion bars for front springs, it is definitely designed to ride on the bump stops. Torsion bars are linear springs, they don't have any dampening ability. The bump stops provide this so there is no "wallowing" when going over curbs etc. If you replace your stock ones, try z71 stops, part number 15153959 (2002 tahoe). The difference is amazing.

Is your truck lifted? Lowered? Just wondering if the Z71 bumpstops added any lift or not...?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davety53