Front AC cool not cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opiefavors

Reaction score
Hi I have 2000 Yukon XL 2500. The rear ac will freeze you out even stopped in traffic. The front however isn't as cold. I will still sweat especially stopped in traffic. Rolling down the high way is better but still not as good as the rear. Whats going on? I'm confused on this one.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seem to get a lot of this topic in the summer. Sounds like a blend door actuator.

uwasride

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
An easier thing to check first is the condenser in front of the radiator. The cooling fins will get full of debris, bug guts, or in my case I found an animal was in the process of building a nest between the condenser and the radiator. When the condenser becomes obstructed it will not condense the refrigerant back to a liquid as efficiently, this in turn could also cause the cool, but not cold air, and is much easier to check than the blend door.

matthones

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just had this very issue. Ended up being a leaky seals. Shop replaced a few seals where the hoses and compressor meet then refilled, ice cold now. For some reason, and I searched tons of forums, when the freon level gets low the rear a/c stays colder for longer than the front. Good luck.

OP
OP
O

opiefavors

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies. Got a set of gauges thing is really screwy. Here's my readings:
Ambient air temp 80*. 67% humidity. 1500rpm. Low side 30 psi and high side 175psi.
I let it run for awhile while I sprayed the condenser out the best I could. This is the second time I sprayed it out. The first time it wasn't running and was a couple of days ago. After i sprayed it out the readings were 35psi on the low side and 115 on the high side. Dose that make any sense to you guys.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Still haven't ruled out the blend door because my low pressure lines are cold but not that cold.
The temp seemed cooler today but that might be because I let off a little bit of pressure by hooking up the gauges. And the truck sat in the shade for an hour before I went to work.

OP
OP
O

opiefavors

Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update. I had the system vacuumed down and I put in all new oil and refrigerant. They said there was too much oil in the system Working a lot better. Still sucks sitting at idle. So when I get my other truck fixed I'm doing the 05+ efans.

It also started to over heat on me while idling today(went well over the 210 mark. The transmission temp gauge stayed at 200 no matter what I was doing and I dont like that one bit. So I'm guessing the clutch is going out on the fan.

a4edwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to thread jack but what should trans temp be at? Mines goes up to 200

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n