Front 4wd noise under acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
2015 Yukon XL Denali is making noise under load. This noise happens when the 4wd is in auto or 4 High. This noise only happens when the drivetrain is under load or accelerating. No noise is heard in 2WD. My dealers service manager heard the noise. Then had a tech go with him and was told it was normal. I drove my friends 2016 Suburban and it does not have the noise, so it can not be normal.

The noiseis notso severe I think its going to come apart, but I'd be nervous to tow a snowmobile trailer in 4WD for 300 miles. It might not survive that much...

Took truck to a non dealer service center and was advised by a service manager I fully trust.... "it's not an issue, my 2015 Silverado sounds exactly the same". I am willing to pay for repairs but don't know where to begin. Everything has been inspected and seems ok to my mechanic as well as myself.

Anyone have any similar issues and/or thoughts on eliminating the noise?

Thanks for any help you can give!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd start by changing fluids and finding out exactly which part is making the noise, a hub, front differential, u-joints, transfer case, etc.

OP
OP
Avalanchediver
Reaction score
I'd start by changing fluids and finding out exactly which part is making the noise, a hub, front differential, u-joints, transfer case, etc.

All fluids are completely fresh. Just done by GM dealer that says the sound is "normal". I assumed it was the front diff so I figured an oil change on it would show issues. No luck...

I appreciate your thoughts, please keep them coming!

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wifes rig now has about 40k miles on it, and hers has a bit of a growl when in 4 wheel. Not such a severe noise that I have persued it, but it is certainly audible. I just assumed it is how the system sounds when in use.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I would put her up on a lift or jack stands and crawl underneath with a stethescope (long extension). Engage 4WD before lifting and only idle it in drive while you stick one end of the extension in your ear and the other on the transfer case, front differential, hubs, etc. Test several areas of differential and TC.

OP
OP
Avalanchediver
Reaction score
Well, I would put her up on a lift or jack stands and crawl underneath with a stethescope (long extension). Engage 4WD before lifting and only idle it in drive while you stick one end of the extension in your ear and the other on the transfer case, front differential, hubs, etc. Test several areas of differential and TC.

I think that makes sense. I have set her up on stands and couldn't hear the noise, but didnt try with a s stethascope. Very hard to get them all spinning as the traction control generally has other ideas...

I'll give it a try once I find a helper...

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my 2016 Silverado 4WD. Being that it is only occurring when in 4H, check your wheel hubs and CV axles, particularly the boots.

Reaction score
Thanks for this info. Going to look into it.

if its the CV axles,why wouldn't they make noise in 2wd since they are probably spinning anyways?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts