found a fix for broken power fold mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get chrome covers or if you want color match just pop the plastic frame off your mirrors and repaint them. once you beef up the internal gears and motor there isnt a need for a spare set of mirrors and those things are hella expensive!
I have an nbs truck, so my mirrors don't come apart like that. And the whole purpose of color matching them to my truck is to have my truck all one color, and none of that cheap ass plastic and chrome crap. I hate that stuff. Everything needs to be painted. Lol. But unfortunately in order for them to get painted they have to be off of my truck, which isnt an option as my business depends on me having my truck drive able at all times. So the easiest way to obtain color matched mirrors, is to buy a new set, have them painted before they go on, and then install once paint is set, so my truck doesn't suffer any down time. If I go that route I'm thinking to have the gears in them redone so I don't have to worry about them not functioning right for a long time.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have an nbs truck, so my mirrors don't come apart like that. And the whole purpose of color matching them to my truck is to have my truck all one color, and none of that cheap ass plastic and chrome crap. I hate that stuff. Everything needs to be painted. Lol. But unfortunately in order for them to get painted they have to be off of my truck, which isnt an option as my business depends on me having my truck drive able at all times. So the easiest way to obtain color matched mirrors, is to buy a new set, have them painted before they go on, and then install once paint is set, so my truck doesn't suffer any down time. If I go that route I'm thinking to have the gears in them redone so I don't have to worry about them not functioning right for a long time.
You could just pop off your old covers and reuse them, or pop them off and send them out, then reinstall once you get them back. They're only held on with double stick tape.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could just pop off your old covers and reuse them, or pop them off and send them out, then reinstall once you get them back. They're only held on with double stick tape.
Yeah but I want the whole mirror housing color matched to my truck. Like I said no cheap ass plastic crap. Lol
unfortunately that project will have to wait now. I just found I have to replace my hydro boost unit and my master cylinder reservoir for my brakes. On top of that, a pothole took out the bushing and boot on one of my rear air shocks this week. So I have to order a whole new air shock. And i have to pay for labor to have catalytic converter parts that some how ended up in my exhaust system cut out and have it rewelded. FML.....

OP
OP
J

jatkinson8755

Reaction score
if you hate plastic crap you definitely hate those mirrors lol !

I hear what you are saying tho, and thats a smart idea to get a spare set then rebuild them with the metal gearing, then have them painted and installed all in 1 shot. I hope you get the rest of the bugs fixed, I know this gets to be expensive PIA !

bigrhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My right side mirror housing started grinding and would,t open. I tapped it a couple of times and it opened up. When I tried it again, it would not open. Could a bad gear be the problem?

OP
OP
J

jatkinson8755

Reaction score
I donno, its hard to diagnose from here :)

However, there is really only 1 thing that can go wrong within that mechanism, and it suspiciously made from really cheap, thin, brittle, plastic. And its integral to the whole drive and probably the MOST stressed part within the whole thing.

I mean, Im not sayin' GM purposely stuck this plastic spur gear in there so they could sell more $1200 mirror assemblies or anything, but they might have !

Hahaha.

I'd crack it open, have a look. And dont be too shocked if it is that plastic gear in pieces.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few guys with gmt800 trucks swap to tow mirrors. But so far I don't think I've seen anyone with a 2007 or up swap to tow mirrors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk