found a fix for broken power fold mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jatkinson8755

Reaction score
Hey all,

Ive been reading the forums quite sometime as Ive been having issues with my power folding mirrors sporadically folding.

The company that also repairs the faulty door locks now apparently makes new folding mirror gears made from brass instead of plastic, and new motors for them as well. I spoke to them today, they also repair the units and offer cores if you dont want the hassle of installing the replacement brass gear yourself. I'll provide the link, but not sure if thats allowed. If the link gets removed, just google gruvenparts brass mirror gear.

http://www.gruvenparts.com/gruvenpa...-2007-2014-gm-trucks-folding-mirror-assembly/

And dont feel bad about how much GM charges people for new mirror assemblies. The exact same mirror fold unit is also used by Lamborghini (with similar pathetic results). Lambo charges $5400 for the mirror tho !

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. This has been brought up before. People use these on here and have great success with them

OP
OP
J

jatkinson8755

Reaction score
Cool. Here is a link with a video showing how to install. For some reason the video shows a plastic gear and the wrong motor being installed. The gear I got from gruvenparts was brass and the motor was correct length already. this must of been a previous version but the video is still helpful. interested how he keeps the unit mounted to the truck while working on it, good idea.

upload_2017-5-16_8-18-36.png

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this setup similar to the nbs mirror setup. Several of my clients that had nbs trucks in the last couple years had mirros that had no resistance in the mirror. I'd be washing them and even just the slightest touch with the towels would push them in. Lol. I assumed the folding gears were bad in them. I also notice very sporadically I'll go to fold my mirrors in and one side or the other won't fold. I have to hit the button again for it to fold. Thinking maybe the gears in my need to be replaced. But I wasn't sure if thr nnbs mirrors are designed inside the same way as the nbs mirrors.

OP
OP
J

jatkinson8755

Reaction score
Id like to see the nnbs mirrors, can you post a picture ? im not sure if it would also work. it seems like gm would of changed the design on the nnbs to fix this and the mirror is definitely smaller. so are you saying the nnbs mirrors are also failing ?

i looked on gruvenparts website and see they are now offering fix for the nnbs door lock motors, so maybe they would also do a fix for the nnbs mirrors.

pic_1__89218.1494880404.1280.1280.jpg
2014+ GM Door Lock Actuator Motors - Click the Pic !

GruvenParts.com has been repairing the faulty GM door lock actuators since 2010. As many of you already know, the door lock actuators in your 2014+ GM vehicle are like the previous years : very unreliable. Most units suffer motor failures which can make locking and unlocking the vehicle very cumbersome. Our new motor is a reliable high torque design with factory correct wiring inputs. Our motor has passed rigorous 35,000 lock/unlock cycle testing runs conducted continuously over the span of 2 full weeks.

This motor is sold by itself and requires the re-use of the factory plastic worm gear. This worm gear can easily be removed from the old motor and placed onto our replacement motor. No bonding or press fit is required. Removal / installation of this motor is much easier than in the pre 2014 models. The actuators can be easily disassembled and the old motor can easily be lifted out of the unit. There is no drilling or tapping required on these 2014+ units.

There is absolutely NO reason to buy a complete GM unit to fix your door locks ! It is very easy to take apart these 2014+ actuators and replace the only discrepant part - the faulty motor. These units are assembled using simple torx screws and come apart very quickly to replace the motor.

Applicable Models (likely many more, we will keep adding to this list) :
2014+ Silverado and Sierra (1500, 2500, 3500)
2015+ Cadillac ATS, CTS, CT6, XTS, Escalade
2015+ Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon
2015+ Colorado, Canyon
2015+ Impala, Cruze, and Volt
2015+ Buick Envision

Actuator Part Numbers (that we know of, we will be adding to this list!) :
13507156 13597536 13598089 13597799 13507154 13501178 13586151 13592288
13590492 13597551 13597800 13587922 13507135 13597802 13597525 13507132
13597524 13597803

OP
OP
J

jatkinson8755

Reaction score
Yes I bet that is related to the spur gear breaking. Its really all that can go wrong in there. 1 small plastic gear breaks and whole mechanism is shot.

Is this setup similar to the nbs mirror setup. Several of my clients that had nbs trucks in the last couple years had mirros that had no resistance in the mirror. I'd be washing them and even just the slightest touch with the towels would push them in. Lol. I assumed the folding gears were bad in them. I also notice very sporadically I'll go to fold my mirrors in and one side or the other won't fold. I have to hit the button again for it to fold. Thinking maybe the gears in my need to be replaced. But I wasn't sure if thr nnbs mirrors are designed inside the same way as the nbs mirrors.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I bet that is related to the spur gear breaking. Its really all that can go wrong in there. 1 small plastic gear breaks and whole mechanism is shot.
thanks for the response good sir! I'm gonna look into it. Already thinking about buying a second set of mirrors to have color matched to my truck. Might as well pick up a set and then send them to be rebuilt of that's the case before I get them painted. And then I'm guaranteed they won't break. Lol.

OP
OP
J

jatkinson8755

Reaction score
you can get chrome covers or if you want color match just pop the plastic frame off your mirrors and repaint them. once you beef up the internal gears and motor there isnt a need for a spare set of mirrors and those things are hella expensive!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
you can get chrome covers or if you want color match just pop the plastic frame off your mirrors and repaint them. once you beef up the internal gears and motor there isnt a need for a spare set of mirrors and those things are hella expensive!
They're not too bad if you look around, and are patient.