For guys running the Tailgate's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazyAssLou

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blah! I thought this thread was about football tailgating! I got all excitied for nothing =/ ...

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I adjusted my latch assembly but I never noticed a "snug" position, just an open and latched position.

Maybe you need to elongate some of the holes to get more adjustment out of it? I almost had to do that but I did get it.

Where are you located in Ontario? I'm in kitchener.

I'm a little bit North of you....ok, alot North of you. I live in Cochrane, but I work in Sudbury. Sudbury is about 6-7 hours drive North of you, and then Cochrane is another 7-8 hours drive north of Sudbury. I think that it's pretty wild that you can drive for two days and still be in the same province. Hey, isn't Kitchener home of RIM? RIM is part of my bread and butter. Those pesky BES servers are a PITA!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Blah! I thought this thread was about football tailgating! I got all excitied for nothing =/ ...

Bah, that's American football, who watches that! CFL is where it's at! Ahhh, classic Hamilton Tigercats vs Winnepeg Bluebombers matches. Besides it's too cold up here to sit out on the tailgate! We only have two months of bad skiing you know. We've already had frost most of this week, and the leaves are orange and almost gone now. I expect the first snowfall anyday now.

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just popped my rear window,took a wrench and loosened the nut,moved the latch thingy inword some,and retightend the nut,closed window,and done.

I did not drop my tailgate or remove the tailgate cover to do this.

It did seem to help my interier light 'flickering' issue when ever i went over bumps.

Hope the new part solves your issue,keep us posted please.

P.S. seeing as how my Tahoe was a D.O.T. unit,im thinking that the tailgate was used alot...you know,taking in and out the scales and what not.This could wear out parts pretty quick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, you have a good idea!

I've been running all week without any bolts in it, just loosey goosey. What if I try doing what you said and see if that helps at all. I checked the local bone yards and they have nothing. I'm thinking that I'm gonna have to start calling Toronto bone yards, if your trick doesn't help.

I'll try it tomorrow when I get home.

sleepr

Reaction score
99yuk, I know exactly where Cochrane is, I've done a lot of work for trans canada pipelines and have spent some time up around there and Kap. RIM is here in waterloo, around here everyone knows someone who works for RIM!!

diesel1114

Reaction score
hi guys i have had the same problem with the window not looking like it ws closed to well, it was closed but not flush and i brought my 97 hoe to work and brough it inside the shop, i made the adjustments like you guys have pictured" great help by the way " and got it alot better than what it was , also i think i might need to elongate the hole to get the lock/latch to pull in the rear hatch more and almost get it flush

:Handshake::rocking:

arveetek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked LMC truck to see if they have a replacement latch? Sometimes they have parts that have been discontinued by GM.

The days of GM stocking parts for 30 + years of vehicles are long gone. *sigh*

By the way, my window doesn't have a secondary latch that I know of, just latched or not latched. Sometimes my tailgate doesn't shut all the way, and I'll have to slam it a bit harder, and then everything is okay.

Casey

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy hell man spray out those door jambs next time you're at the car wash lol.
No way! That's my Krown rustproofing hard at work there! Either that or I travel alot of gravel roads... Either way, if I clean it, it'll come back in a week.

So, I've been running with no bolts of any kind in there for a few weeks now, while I'm looking for a replacement part. I finally noticed this afternoon after running into Home Depot, that I havn't been hearing the rattling noise lately. I look, sure enough it's closing snugly. The top latch bolt is almost falling out of the hole, but it's working. So, I'm thinking of just putting the plate covers back on, and leaving the whole thing loosy-goosy.

Whatcha think?

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Have you checked LMC truck to see if they have a replacement latch? Sometimes they have parts that have been discontinued by GM.

The days of GM stocking parts for 30 + years of vehicles are long gone. *sigh*

By the way, my window doesn't have a secondary latch that I know of, just latched or not latched. Sometimes my tailgate doesn't shut all the way, and I'll have to slam it a bit harder, and then everything is okay.

Casey

No, I havn't. but I'll try on Monday. Thanks for the tip.
My window used to work with the slamming trick for the last two years, but this summer it decided it didn't want to play that game any more.

hehe, I like one member here's avatar, it's Government Motors. I get a kick out of that. I don't like it, but I do get a kick out of that.

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

A couple of weeks ago, the glass stopped latching altogether. I needed a rope tied to a tiedown to keep the glass shut.

I tried car-parts.com and found a complete tailgate in stock at a local wrecker. $200 got me a 95 Yukon tailgate.
It got installed yesterday! I like it! For the first time in months my tailgate opens and closes properly and with no rattling! :party33:

I wish I had known about car-parts.com before. I used it to get me a rear view mirror out of Ottawa a couple of weeks ago too. $40 shipped! :shocked:

Last edited:

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
nice. sometimes those things are a pain to even adjust to close properly. Just a stupid awful design from GM, easy as hell to get in one too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts